Acer Aspire E15 touch. Screen gone completely black.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tearth

Estimable
Feb 13, 2015
My roommate's laptop (the described Acer Aspire E15 touch) out of no where stopped working. The screen has gone completely black, absolutely no light, no mouse, not even a second of screen shows when you start it up. All it does is start running the fan. Anybody know how to fix it or should I send this thing back?

hardwareuser

Estimable
Feb 21, 2015
I have an E15 (E5-571-37SY) with what looks like the same symptom. Mine is *not* touchscreen. It's got Windows 8.1 64-bit.

I've been struggling with it since earlier in the week. I put it to sleep, when trying to resume it later, I started getting these symptoms. I have been reading a lot on anything similar with any Acers. I noticed the fan would increase in speed after opening and closing the lid. I tried starting it with and without the battery.

I let the battery discharge completely and then recharged it. I guess it's full when the light is blue, yellow when not full. After this, I've been able to get it to come on. It took quite a few presses of the power button. I'd sometimes get the pre-boot screen before Windows, then started making it to the swirly Windows boot graphic.

Now, most of the time, I can get it into Windows, start an app, and it will connect to my wifi. It will stay up no longer than 5-10 minutes. Then it just goes black and I can hear the fan running. I've tried capping the processor usage at 50% in the powercfg utility, doesn't help. Windows event log shows no useful diagnostic info regarding the crash.

Next I will try stuff including: a) booting into safe mode, b) disabling wireless nic, c) disabling bluetooth. Would appreciate any other suggestions or knowledge. I want it to stay up long enough to copy about 30 gig of data off before doing anything more drastic.

I've had this system since around early Oct 2014, never dropped it, been careful with it. Unfortunately I goofed and didn't get extended warranty on it.

I can't remember for sure if I had this problem before this week. Only other thing I know for sure is that for last 6 or 7 weeks, it has taken to beeping loudly when I plug in power cord, sometimes.

Gamernerd37

Estimable
Jul 31, 2015

Gamernerd37

Estimable
Jul 31, 2015
I had the same problem after I upgraded to windows 10. I tried unplugging the power cord and it started working. Now I have to figure out why. Didn't have that problem when I was on windows 8.1

Glosol

Estimable
Aug 11, 2015

I have the same exact symptom, started right after installing win 10. Have you found the fix on this?

bighoplet

Estimable
Aug 20, 2015
Hi Just got off chat with microsoft tech, solved problem. Go to power settings, and adjust the brightness down when the charger is plugged in. On top setting the display cannot handle it and just blacks out. Job done !

brrice

Estimable
Sep 12, 2015
I have a new Acer aspire e15 that started to get the black screen on startup after I installed windows 10 . The only way to get it back was to hold the start button down for a long time then hit it again and it would finally restart without the black screen. I went to setting and adjusted the brightness as one person suggested here, I put it at 95% instead of 100% and then on the next reboot I was able to adjust it to 60% to get the desired brightness. Sounds strange but somehow this brightness control at 100% caused the black screen . Hope that helps others who do a search on this problem . I have not had this problem since I adjusted the brightness of the screen back from 100%.

hardwareuser

Estimable
Feb 21, 2015

I happened to try this same thing without seeing this posting, but it didn't seem to work (Windows 8.1). I will try it again though, because it is effectively still bricked and won't stay on for more than 5 - 10 minutes without going black. I may try disassembling it too. I ended up buying an AMD-based Lenovo laptop some months later, and it works ok, but is not as responsive as the Intel-based one. Don't plan on going to Windows 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.