This happens periodically and it's getting on my nerves. Every once in a while, for a few days at a time, my laptop's keyboard will go completely insane. Keys activate other keys when pressed ( A turns on caps lock, S activates both S and X, D activates both C and D, etc). It completely destroys my ability to use my laptop effectively. I have to resort to plugging in a usb keyboard (which is loud and uncomfortable compared to the laptop keyboard).
I have not been able to find any other threads on this problem. Restarting my computer, uninstalling the keyboard through the device manager, and even shaking my laptop (which was legitimately recommended at one point) all have no effect.
Here are some troubleshooting steps that may help in solving the issue.
- First is to uninstall/reinstall the keyboard driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the keyboard driver then reboot the laptop.
- After the reboot do test it again and see if it will work or not.
- If it will still not work open onscreen keyboard (just search for osk) and press the letter j and see if it will type the letter using it.
- And lastly, try connecting an external USB keyboard and see if everything will work normal using it.
- If it will work just fine that problem is that specific key only, try to dust off that key and see if it will work or not.
- Replacing the whole keyboard would be the only solution if all these will not work.