Acer Aspire One audio problems

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

P.S.

I've emailed myself the links as well as the script so I can fix the problem from anywhere should it rear up it's ugly head again.

So long folks, ghoroonet.

glennahall

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

This was the fix. Worked perfectly. Reset system to use DMA and now it sounds awesome again.

That's the short of it. Here's the story for those who may find it helpful for their own troubleshooting.

The AA1 is my wife's. She's a fitness instructor and uses it for both music and prepping with some videos. She normally uses her earbuds when listening to music on it and she uses a cable from the earphone jack to a sound board when playing music for classes. She rarely uses the built-in speakers.

The problems she began to experience were system slowness and pauses and jitters in audio from both MP3's and Youtube.

She had not experienced any of these problems until the other day when she was prepping a new Zumba (dance workout) routine and we had plugged her AA1 into our new TV with the VGA connector. This was the first time it had been plugged into an external monitor of any kind. We didn't have an audio cable handy to run the sound through the TV so she turned up the volume on AA1 and played the audio through the built-in speakers.

Within a few second of the video (from Youtube) starting, her laptop blue screened. We restarted it and she contnued with her work. Then she noticed the symptoms over the next few days.

She was convinced that using the external VGA connector had caused the crash and the crash had corrupted a file - probably a sound driver. We had not installed any new software for quite a while before that so I wasn't entirely sure that she might not be right.

I ran through all the normal trouble shooting stuff just like everyone else mentioned and then I read this forum. It all sounded familiar until I read the message quoted above. After reading the results that was getting, I decided to try it. But first I read the post that mentioned the speaker being near the HDD. Eureka!

When we had cranked up the volume on my wife's AA1 to play that video, we had EMPed the HDD! (No sniping, I know it not quite the same.) The system blue screened to death and came back as a PIO zombie. Winhlp's anti-PIO zombie elixir was just what was needed.

Regards,

Glenn
ghall_51 at Yahoo!

G

This worked wonders for me too for a little while until the system crashed and I got the BSOD, I was only using youtube and a forum site. After it had restarted, it keeps going to the bsod and won't load windows. I'm looking as to remedy this problem currently but til then I'm just going to have to use the linux partition of my drive. So beware lol.

javacafe

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
OMG it solved my problem. all the while i thought there was a problem with my hardware. my audio is working perfectly.

thank you so much :pt1cable:

rutledg2

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
FIXED!! Thanks so much!!

I was a bit skeptical at first but I was i dire need of fixing the problem asap and it works!! Got my tunes playing perfectly back on my laptop!!

Many thanks,

My faith in forums has been restored :)

Gillian

G

Thanks! My aspire one is back to normal again, the sound was terrible but using this link has completely restored it back to normal. Acer were not much help at all and advised a drastic ALT F10, but thanks to you there was no need! Definitely Recommend if your Acer Aspire one sound is degrading!

juuuuliaaaaa

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
i'm trying to access the link, but it keeps telling me "page load error" because the link's server is taking too long to respond. did anyone else have problems accessing the link? i have no other internet connection problems, but i do have the same acer aspire one audio problems (the skipping, the slowness, the echo, the weird, trrrrr metallic/robot sounds) and i was hoping this link might work magic for me like it did for everyone else... but i cant seem to get the page to load... neither with firefox nor with explorer!

juuuuliaaaaa

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
would someone be willing to maybe copy and paste the initial (non-payment) instructions that seemed to work for everyone else? thanks!

halfalien

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Can Someone explain to me how to run this program. i clicked on the link and all i see are codes.
A step by step instruction on how to execute it will be greatly appreciated. i really like this laptop and don't feel like returning it.
Im really not that good with computers.

Whenever i start a video conference call with the laptop or just a mic conversation the other person voice comes out all choppy and breaking up. and when i try the exact same thing on my other computerit works just fine.

this was the code:

' Visual Basic Script program to reset the DMA status of all ATA drives

' Copyright © 2006 Hans-Georg Michna

' Version 2007-04-04

' Works in Windows XP, probably also in Windows 2000 and NT.
' Does no harm if Windows version is incompatible.

If MsgBox("This program will now reset the DMA status of all ATA drives with Windows drivers." _
& vbNewline & "Windows will redetect the status after the next reboot, therefore this procedure" _
& vbNewline & "should be harmless.", _
vbOkCancel, "Program start message") _
= vbOk Then

RegPath = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}\"
ValueName1Master = "MasterIdDataChecksum"
ValueName1Slave = "SlaveIdDataChecksum"
ValueName2Master = "UserMasterDeviceTimingModeAllowed"
ValueName2Slave = "UserSlaveDeviceTimingModeAllowed"
ValueName3 = "ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess"
MessageText = "The following ATA channels have been reset:"
MessageTextLen0 = Len(MessageText)
ConsecutiveMisses = 0
Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

For i = 0 to 999
RegSubPath = Right("000" & i, 4) & "\"

' Master

Err.Clear
On Error Resume Next
WshShell.RegRead RegPath & RegSubPath & ValueName1Master
errMaster = Err.Number
On Error Goto 0
If errMaster = 0 Then
On Error Resume Next
WshShell.RegDelete RegPath & RegSubPath & ValueName1Master
WshShell.RegDelete RegPath & RegSubPath & ValueName2Master
On Error Goto 0
MessageText = MessageText & vbNewLine & "Master"
End If

' Slave

Err.Clear
On Error Resume Next
WshShell.RegRead RegPath & RegSubPath & ValueName1Slave
errSlave = Err.Number
On Error Goto 0
If errSlave = 0 Then
On Error Resume Next
WshShell.RegDelete RegPath & RegSubPath & ValueName1Slave
WshShell.RegDelete RegPath & RegSubPath & ValueName2Slave
On Error Goto 0
If errMaster = 0 Then
MessageText = MessageText & " and "
Else
MessageText = MessageText & vbNewLine
End If
MessageText = MessageText & "Slave"
End If

If errMaster = 0 Or errSlave = 0 Then
On Error Resume Next
WshShell.RegWrite RegPath & RegSubPath & ValueName3, 1, "REG_DWORD"
On Error Goto 0
ChannelName = "unnamed channel " & Left(RegSubPath, 4)
On Error Resume Next
ChannelName = WshShell.RegRead(RegPath & RegSubPath & "DriverDesc")
On Error Goto 0
MessageText = MessageText & " of " & ChannelName & ";"
ConsecutiveMisses = 0
Else
ConsecutiveMisses = ConsecutiveMisses + 1
If ConsecutiveMisses >= 32 Then Exit For ' Don't search unnecessarily long.
End If
Next ' i

If Len(MessageText) <= MessageTextLen0 Then
MessageText = "No resettable ATA channels with Windows drivers found. Nothing changed."
Else
MessageText = MessageText & vbNewline _
& "Please reboot now to reset and redetect the DMA status."
End If

MsgBox MessageText, vbOkOnly, "Program finished normally"

End If ' MsgBox(...) = vbOk

' End of Visual Basic Script program

arizia11

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
to halfalien:
1) copy and paste the code to notepad..
2) save it as "resetdma.vbs"..
3) double click your saved resetdma.vbs..

and that's it :)

kenneylee

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009

Great Link!!

Thought my audio driver got too hot and was broken but my primary was set to PIO. I went to the link, manually deleted the registry value, rebooted and its working like new now.

Million Thanx

G

I just registreted myself on this site to say THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

it totaly worked. I was starting to get crazy but the dma solution still didnt cross my mind.

Thanks for solving my problem.

Nikola

OldbagofCairo

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Thanks - worked a treat - have had strange wanging stretched out sound on my skype and music players on my Acer Aspire One for a few weeks now. Downloaded the fix, double clicked it and rebooted - alhamdulilah we are ok now!

radioactive1

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008

Had exactly the same experience (w/ the exception that I didn't buy three for my kids @ Christmas :wahoo: ), however, after having repeated sound issues, re-installing drivers to the factory settings (and everything else under the sun), this little miracle cure did the trick!

Thanks much for the magic elixir!

radioactive1

G

Thanx so much for the link. Racking my brain for weeks trying to fix my daughter's AA1. Works like a charm. Acer should provide a link for this fix.

G

You're right man!! Same problem happened to my AAO even though I ran the resetdma script (wich actually helped a lot). I found that playing music through an external speaker is way much better and solves this problem. No critical issues with normal-volume audio files.

RobMcCall

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009

Thanx for making it simple...worked a treat all is A O K........

I had been looking at the latency checker (Link below) prior to running the above (Script) as explained by you, and now the difference can not only be heard but seen clearly,

FREE LATENCY CHECKER TOOL

http://www.thesycon.de/dpclat/dpclat.exe

A cool and simple explanation, a cool and simple script, a cool and simple tool to see the difference and NOW a cool, simple and HAPPY ACER One, user.

Thanx a Mill
Rob

cadu00

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
When I try to run the script, it says "no resetteable ATA channels found". Any ideas on what I should do?

The website read as follows:

"Please note that this works only with the Windows drivers. If your device had its own manufacturer's drivers installed, this program cannot fix the problem and will not do anything to them. Instead it will report that no resettable DMA channels were found."

Should i get windows drivers to replace my current drivers and then run the script? Will it work on Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.