Acer Aspire v3-551-8887 processer upgrade

LekramG

Estimable
Sep 13, 2015
I currently have an AMD A8-4500m processor in my laptop and I was looking to upgrade it. I want to try using an AMD A10-5750M as a replacement but I just want to make sure that it's okay to use that processor with this laptop. Also what would the installation process be like? Would I have to up date my bios for this processor anything other things like that as this is my first time upgrading a processor. Thanks.

Edit: the CPU is able to be removed btw which lead me to wondering about upgrading it.

Solution
Upgrading a laptop CPU is a far more difficult and dangerous task than upgrading a desktop CPU. Laptops are not designed to be modified by the end user except for RAM and storage, and to a far lesser extent, sometimes the wireless card. Laptop CPUs cannot be bought from retail stores and must be obtained through gray market channels or OEM contacts. They are often soldered onto the motherboard as well - in this case it is impossible to upgrade the CPU by yourself. Finally, if you do figure out that the CPU is compatible and can be upgraded, the cost of the part will be so high as not to be cost-effective.

That said, if you understand all these risks, the A8-4500M IN GENERAL can be upgraded to an A10 without a BIOS update.

metalicgeek

Estimable
Upgrading a laptop CPU is a far more difficult and dangerous task than upgrading a desktop CPU. Laptops are not designed to be modified by the end user except for RAM and storage, and to a far lesser extent, sometimes the wireless card. Laptop CPUs cannot be bought from retail stores and must be obtained through gray market channels or OEM contacts. They are often soldered onto the motherboard as well - in this case it is impossible to upgrade the CPU by yourself. Finally, if you do figure out that the CPU is compatible and can be upgraded, the cost of the part will be so high as not to be cost-effective.

That said, if you understand all these risks, the A8-4500M IN GENERAL can be upgraded to an A10 without a BIOS update.

Solution

terenz

Estimable
Aug 1, 2015
You'll have to disassemble your laptop to see if the CPU is soldered in or not. Can't tell how compatible your laptop would be with the higher-powered CPU.

I (unfortunately) have quite a bit of experience disassembling and assembling an Acer 5560 so it only took me 10-15 minutes UGing the CPU from an A6-3420M to an A8-3520M. Only slight difference in clock speed and the same laptop did come with a A8-3520M.

I had to buy the CPU on ebay as laptop CPUs are not available through normal channels.

Here's the comparison:

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/71/AMD_A10-Series_for_Notebooks_A10-5750M_vs_AMD_A8-Series_for_Notebooks_A8-4500M.html

TRENDING THREADS