Acer Aspire V5 Very Slow Wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.

petro1412

Estimable
Jul 12, 2014
I've had an Acer Aspire V5-552G-X414 laptop for about a year now and within the past 3-4 months, my internet speeds on wifi have been AWFUL, like getting 1mb/s download is average.

I've tried making sure the antennas were properly connected, which actually solved the problem for about a month before the slow speeds came back. I then redownloaded all the latest WLAN drivers from Qualcomm, which did not help.

I then decided there must be something wrong with the wifi card in the laptop, so I bought a Netgear wifi dongle. This, again, solved the problem for about a month. Now it gives me the extremely slow internet problem when using the dongle or using the built in wifi card.

Other things I have tried: Updating the BIOS to the newest version, installing a previous version of the WLAN driver, messing with the antennas on the card AGAIN and I just can't get the internet speeds back to normal.

Anyone have ANY ideas on how to go about trying to fix this problem? I've tried all I can short of completely wiping my drive completely, getting a fresh install of windows and going from there (really don't feel like doing this...)

EDIT: Its also worth mentioning that my internet speeds are just fine on every other machine/device in the house, so it is not a problem with my router/access point.

petro1412

Estimable
Jul 12, 2014

I have done this a few times since I first started having the problem, as well as many routine scans via Norton and they've all came up clean. I'm confident it is not malware related since things like securing the antenna and getting a dongle fixed the problem for a period of time and I've never noticed anything else odd/unusual with my laptop's performance.

yourewelcome

Estimable
Jun 25, 2015

i used to have the same exact problem and i can tell you that it's not because of the software.

the solution is simple: open the back of the laptop and you will see the wireless card, there should be a black wire connected to CH0 slot, just pull it out and connect it to CH1 slot. problem solved

Status
Not open for further replies.