Acer's Honeycomb Tablet Cheaper Than iPad 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunga28

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
No. The transformer has an IPS screen and lighter. It also has an easy-on-the-eye design. I like that better than the angular design on the Iconia by Acer.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
This price point at least gives it a chance, but it's going to be a hard battle against the iPad. Selling a similar product for a similar price is very difficult if what people really want is an iPad.

All Honeycomb needs now is some app love from developers.

btw: "Iconia Tab" is a stupid name. "iPad" at least sticks in your head. I've got a feeling Acer is run by engineers and bean counting accountants and not by marketing people.

Hando567

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
And what exactly is wrong with being run by engineers? Quality products >> catch name, especially when those bean counting accountants put it at a good price point. I have been nothing but impressed with the quality of acer laptops at their respective price points, I hope this tablet is the same.

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
half the problem with seling these things is some people dont even realise something other than an ipad or iphone exists. i have people at work (which is an IT company) that went and bought these things and keep telling me all the wonderful things they can do. I tell them that there are a million other phones that can do that and more, and they say "what phones?". they need some serious advertising to come close to pulling this off if they want to compete with apple.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Hando567[/nom]And what exactly is wrong with being run by engineers? Quality products >> catch name, especially when those bean counting accountants put it at a good price point. I have been nothing but impressed with the quality of acer laptops at their respective price points, I hope this tablet is the same.[/citation]

There is a lot more to marketing than choosing product names. Marketing starts even before the the development of a product begins. It's the difference between doing things right and doing the right things.
Designing this tablet with these specs for this price is an engineering success. Having it sit in the market right next to the iPad is a marketing fail.

A slightly lower price, SD card slot and marginally bigger display are most likely not enough to kick the iPad from it's throne. Not while iOS has all the tablet apps.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
The Transformer is looking slightly better than Acer's tablet offering... Better screen, optional Keyboard dock, a price that's rumored to be lower...

I'm excited about these honeycomb tablets because Apps or no apps, I can't do my flash-based online homework on an ipad.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
[citation][nom]fonzy[/nom]Isn't the Asus Transformer going for $399? with the exact same specs?[/citation]

Yes, but at that price you only get teh tablet. The keyboard docking costs more.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Too much

[citation][nom]mman74[/nom]Yes, but at that price you only get teh tablet. The keyboard docking costs more.[/citation]

Even with the dock it is still much cheaper.

:)

Tablets are nice but too overpriced.

G

This is not what people want, i can not comment on the software but that is not a visually appealing tablet.

Look at the screen, a huge black border is not pretty; there is a difference when holding a "screen" in your hands and a device that has a screen on.

I agree with the marketing comment, but others who read it assume that Apple do not have quality engineers; the reason why the iPad is successful is because it is visually appealing(marketing) and also has quality engineering behind it.

candrwhite

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
They could have sold a ton more if it came in at $399.00. I don't know if $50 will be enough to sway the potential iPad 2 buyers. Time will tell.

G

The Asus Transformer has USB ports only on the keyboard dock, while the Acer has at least one.

" This tablet is the first on the market to feature a USB 2.0 port with host support for viewing content from flash drives or smartphones, or for connecting a USB keyboard for fast typing." from acer's website

aside from that everything else seems the same to me. I personally plan on tethering my phone to a tablet while away from wifi. While i haven't tested wireless tethering i'm pretty sure I'd need USB for wired tethering.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
$449.99 ...
WOW...

Here is what I could do with that much.
1. Buy an "as is" i7 laptop with 4GB of ram and a decrete nVidia graphics (with a broken screen) on eBay (Saw one yesterday that sold for $330. It was an 8440p)
2. Buy a new screen to fix the laptop ($100) (Don't need to pay to have it installed cause I've got skillz)

That's it... I would have a (slightly used) working Core i7 w/ 4GB of ram, good graphics and a warranty all for LESS than a dumb little tablet.

This is why I will not spend $450 on a tablet... It's just too much for a weakling computer.

vision33r

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
LOL you geeks are so sad. People are paying $100-300 over for the iPad 2. Price is not the problem. It's all about marketing and the apps.

Can you do DJ Hero on Honeycomb? Do you have iMovie? Are there any cool apps on Android at all vs the thousands more quality apps on iOS app store.

Status
Not open for further replies.