Adding Bose 161 surround speakers to Bose Cinemate 15

swaranfca

Prominent
Apr 14, 2017
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a Bose Cinemate 15 system. I wanted to add another surround speaker and have shortlisted Bose 161 to add as surround speakers.

While I do understand that Bose Cinemate 15 is a standalone speaker system and the manufacturer has mentioned that no further speakers can be added, I have found a way to add additional speakers after doing some research.

The Bass module (acoustimass) in the Cinemate 15 system has 2 serial ports (9 pin DB9 ports). The first serial port is for power supply to the sound bar and the other serial port is for sending amplified sound to the sound bar.

I have connected a Y slitter serial cable to the serial port which sends the sound signal to the soundbar. Now I have one serial port (in the Y splitter serial cable) available to connect other spekers which will get an amplified sound input. Accordingly, I can easily connect a Bose 161 to the serial port.

My question is regarding the Watts and Ohms mismatch between the amplifier of Cinemate 15 and Bose 161 speakers. I am very sure that I can connect the Bose 161 speakers which will produce a good amplified sound, however, I am not very sure how the speakers and amplifier would behave at very high volumes. If at all there is a mismatch, I may end up frying the amp or overdriving the speakers and maybe damaging them permanently.

Any help on my above query will be appreciated. Thanks for your patience.

Best regards,

Swaran

Solution
I would say take it back and buy a proper surround system if that's what you want. Why hack together something. In addition, it's not going to give any surround sound, just an exact mirror of what the soundbar gives and you make get weird echoing effects and stuff.

You could build a nice surround system for the cost of those two items that would work properly.
I would say take it back and buy a proper surround system if that's what you want. Why hack together something. In addition, it's not going to give any surround sound, just an exact mirror of what the soundbar gives and you make get weird echoing effects and stuff.

You could build a nice surround system for the cost of those two items that would work properly.

Solution