SethS

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
Hey guys!
So recently Photoshop cs6 has been giving me a lot of trouble. I know the problem of it, but I don't want to get rid of the reason as explained below.

I have a r9 270x with the specific AMD 15.7 drivers. My gpu (though advertised to support 4) refuses to go more than 2 displays at once. To solve this problem I went into my motherboards bios, and enabled the igpu for my cpu.

After this I installed intel's latest igpu driver. Now I have 3 monitors working, but photoshop is now constanly crashing, and won't let me enable a gpu saying "Photoshop detected an error in your display driver. Update or reinstall the driver and check use use graphics processor to retry"

The problem is, that i've uninstalled and done fresh installs of both the AMD drvers, and the Intel driver, but still the problem persists.

Any ideas? Help is greatly appriciated :D

vilikas55

Estimable
Jan 22, 2015

You expand your photoshop thru whole 3 displays? or you use it in only 1 of those?

SethS

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

I only use the middle one, but I use the other 3 for multi tasking purposes.

SethS

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

I have 1 hdmi, 1 displayport (displayport to hdmi) and a VGA. I'm currently using vga on my mb as there can only be 2 connected to gpu and it displaying an image.

JobCreator

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
I'm just going to open the door for this and leave it there. If people seem to like the idea you can try it. It's somewhat of a risky process, but can work magically in tight situations.

Step one. BACKUP your user profile. Documents, Downloads, Internet favs, etc. etc. Anything tied to your user profile that you want to save. C:/users anything in there. This step would also include securing your network driver to be saved somewhere outside of your user profile - if you have a storage drive, for example. You will need some way of reinstalling your network driver after step two. Mobo driver disc would be perfect.

Step two would be to perform a "sysprep." All user profile contents will be wiped including any drivers for any of the hardware.

Upon rebooting, Windows will "rediscover" all your hardware as if you were to boot for the first time on a fresh machine, but your data will all remain. Your programs will be installed, you won't have to do really anything except reinstall drivers that Windows didn't install upon rebooting. Move your user profile contents back into it's proper place and everything will be as if nothing changed, except your hardware registry.

I don't want to get too into detail if it's not a viable option, and in case someone has a better, faster response.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The issue is one of driver/application compatibility, a sysprep is a radical approach and could render the system unusable. For that matter, simply removing both the Intel and AMD video drivers and restarting the system would accomplish the same discovery process and likely to break less.

The issue with the 270x not being able to drive all 3 displays is a digital issue. Sounds like the OP is trying to use a VGA device along with a couple digital (HDMI and DP/HDMI). This is what is preventing the displays from working from the 270x. All 3 displays need to be digital devices.

Can the display that is currently connected via VGA also support one of the other interfaces, or is it only a VGA (analog) device?

SethS

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

It has vga and dvi. Is it possible to get it to work with an adapter? my video card has 1 dp, 1hdmi, and 2 vga
the curent ports being used are displayport, and hdmi

JobCreator

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
Here's my second thought. Your GPU may advertise to display up to 4 monitors, but at what resolution? You could be seeing the limitation of your card. Try turning the resolution down on each of your monitors to allow more headroom for the 4th to kick in. Just a theory.

JobCreator

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
Also, what is the whole run down on the display not displaying? Is it recognized as a piece of hardware if you were to go into display settings and detect displays, does it show up there but simply not put out video? Is it recognized at all by the system? Can you switch the output among displays just not together?

SethS

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

Ok, so I have 2 at 1080p. when I connect the 3rd its a 1600x900. its basically greyed out, can sets the resolution to 800x600, and sets it at "Disconect this display" If I try to change it to "Extend desktop of this display" and save it says "Unable to save settings"

SethS

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

Then what would you advise doing? It has 1 displayport, 1 hdmi, and 2 dvi (Sorry i've been saying vga all this time) should I buy a display port splitter, and then buy a displayport to dvi cable (If they even exist)

JobCreator

Honorable
Apr 18, 2013
I'm still suspicious of a resolution issue. Have you tried turning all the resolutions down? Not just on the 3rd monitor? Put them all at 800x600 or whatever JUST to see if you can activate that 3rd one.

SethS

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

Nope, sadly I set all the monitors down to 800x600, and it still says "Unable to save"

SethS

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013

Nope, that did nothing.