Advice needed on tablets for education in rural Kenya

MKSSP

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
Hi All.
I am looking for the most cost effective solution to a complex problem. I have raised about $1,500 and want to use the money for some IT at a school in Kenya. While the school has many other needs, access to information has to be a key and there are very few books.
I think it should be tablets because there is no electricity so needs to hold charge well, it is very very dusty so needs to have few moving parts and needs to be stored securely so smaller is better. It would be used to download educational apps and search the internet for information (with a dongle). What would be the best way to use this money? Thanks in advance for you advice.

Solution
without an electricity supply you will struggle to gain a strong enough internet connection to download the apps you want / need. many homes in rural kenya wont have electricity either so they wont be able to charge them back up.
if you were to solve these issues good apps could be Socrative student. and Kingsoft office is a free way to get things like MS Office for tablets.
I wouldnt go it alone, maybe contact http://www.computers4africa.org.uk/ its a charity which is similar to what you want to do.
Do they have internet access? Are these to take home as well? Are you planning on buying them here and then shipping them over? How many do you want to buy for $1500? Are there any particular apps you want to load eg MS Office? How can they recharge the batteries?

ixiixiv

Estimable
Jul 3, 2014
without an electricity supply you will struggle to gain a strong enough internet connection to download the apps you want / need. many homes in rural kenya wont have electricity either so they wont be able to charge them back up.
if you were to solve these issues good apps could be Socrative student. and Kingsoft office is a free way to get things like MS Office for tablets.
I wouldnt go it alone, maybe contact http://www.computers4africa.org.uk/ its a charity which is similar to what you want to do.

Solution

PatrickRatzow

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
A Surface 2 comes with Office 2013 for free running Windows RT 8.1 (Like Windows 8 just a tablet version therefore not allowing you to run .exe, .msi just normal desktop programs only app store programs)

Its built so you can buy a keyboard to it. It attachs via magnets at the bottom of the Surface 2 and then connects via Bluetooth.

I own one myself and only use it for school and its very mobile and helps with a lot of small tasks for me.