Advice on a 3.1 system for movies and music

darreng101

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Hey guys

Always use this forum for my PC questions, but have a HT one I thought I'd ask.

Need to complete a 3.1 system for HT and music. Not fussed about surround and its a small rental apartment and I don't want cables running along the floor etc. I just want good quality audio from the front with a bit of L/R dynamics in movies.

I have some pretty cool bookshelf speakers, and a pretty average powered subwoofer I got given for free.

L/R's are Krix Equinox http://www.krix.com/Product/Detail.aspx?p=44&id=6 I only have a small 1 bed apartment so I'm pretty sure they will do
Subwoofer is a powered JBL Sub125 which I understand is pretty basic

Need to purchase a centre speaker and a 5.1 (I guess) amp. Budget is about $300-400 each so $600-800 in total (excluding all cables).

I've been looking at an Onkyo TX-SR309 for the receiver, but to be honest I don't know if there is a better budget receiver out there. I don't need a network receiver or 3D support, but aren't against it if its in the price range. 3 HDMI in/1 out is fine.

As for the Centre I have no idea as yet.

Cheers for any advice, or if you any of you guys use another forum for more specific audio questions a link to that would also be appreciated.

Cheers,
Daz