Advice on new tablet (up to $1000 budget)

Jak Atackka

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Greetings, people of Tom's Hardware. I'm looking into buying a tablet for myself, and am not sure where to start. To start, I'll answer the basic questionnaire:

First time? Yes.
OS? No preference.
Screen size? Between 7" and 10". I don't want a phablet or a portable laptop.
Brands? No preference.
Budget? The most I'm willing to spend is $1000, and even that I'm not comfortable with. I'd prefer to spend much less, but I'm open to pricier options.
Cell service? None, only Wi-Fi.
Laptop replacement? Definitely not.
Apps? None I can't live without.

Other considerations? Good battery life is a must (at least six hours under normal usage). A good screen and good speakers would be big pluses.

I've owned a couple of iPods the past few years and really like iOS, but I want to branch out and try other OSes. I've used a coworker's Surface Pro 2 and it's pretty awesome (hence the high budget). However, I already own a top-notch laptop, a 17" 2013 Razer Blade Pro, so I don't want a tablet that replaces a laptop. I just want a device to fill the gap between my portable but wimpy iPod and very powerful but bulky Razer.

I will primarily use the tablet for web browsing, Netflix, and light gaming. Productivity is not a requirement, and I already have a gaming laptop and desktop for heavy gaming.

hang-the-9

Titan
For what you want, any tablet in the 2-300 range is fine, the Windows 8 tablets are nice, if you want to run Windows programs but they are double the price of an Android tablet in the same speed range. Take a look at the Nexus models.

hang-the-9

Titan
For what you want, any tablet in the 2-300 range is fine, the Windows 8 tablets are nice, if you want to run Windows programs but they are double the price of an Android tablet in the same speed range. Take a look at the Nexus models.

nareshkraina

Estimable
Jun 19, 2014
you should get those 2-in-1 or multitouch tablets lenovo recently inroduced four different models like yoga 2,flex2 etc.if you want tablet for mainly gaming then you should get razor edge

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rsrafiner Android Tablets 1
S Android Tablets 1
ptt1404 Android Tablets 5
S Android Tablets 1
H Android Tablets 5
M Android Tablets 1
F Android Tablets 3
J Android Tablets 1
nevada51 Android Tablets 4
X Android Tablets 1
K Android Tablets 1