After a suspected virus attack I think I want to re-install Windows [questions]

zachyp

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Let me start by mentioning I didn't have any antivirus software at the time. I used the software that came with my copy of Windows but never resubscribed.

A few months ago I downloaded Advanced System Care and ran the whole 9 yards with their tools. Shortly after I turned on my computer and it seemed slower and all my games and software was deleted from my hard drive.

After using ASC's restore tool to reverse what changes it made I realized it wasn't the programs fault. I then downloaded Norton with the benefits of having Comcast as an ISP. Ran a full scan and didn't find anything of major interest.

Could this have been some form of a virus that would delete all my files? Also I forgot my 1 TB hard drive is almost full even with all the files that were on it gone now. I used to have over 100 games in my Steam library and now I only have 5 downloaded.

I bought new hard drives and was wondering if I should re install Windows using the new hard drive and use old HD as a backup. Thanks for any advice.

Zach

Solution
Double 0 is a method which makes sure the drive is written with 0, which is the hex for no data. Regularly, it's one pass. Double 0 is two times pass.

okcnaline

Honorable
Herald
Nov 17, 2013
Then the "Advanced System Care" came with viruses. In that case, I don't know what type of virus it could be: one that deletes files, or one that alters records leading to the disappearance of files, or one that hides files. Look around for any suspicious files in the install drive.

zachyp

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
I feel like I would like to start from scratch again with my new hard drives and re install Windows since I already have to download all my files again. Do you think this will solve any issues I have?

okcnaline

Honorable
Herald
Nov 17, 2013
It's the easiest way, though if you send me a drop from the virus I *might* be able to recover data.

If you're reinstalling, make sure to double-0 format the drive to make sure the virus isn't left on the drive.

zachyp

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

And what is double-0? A way to erase the whole drive clean?