Alexa Re-Registration to Secondary Account - Wifi Connection?

Jun 26, 2018
I have an Echo (1st Gen) and Echo Dot, which have been working just fine when registered to my personal Amazon account, using my personal Google account and phone.

We are adding a separate, secondary living space (like AirBnb) which I don't want to be attached to my personal accounts or primary wifi. So I created a secondary Google identity, and secondary Amazon account and wanted to re-register the Alexa devices to that secondary Amazon account. I de-registered the Echo devices from primary, but cannot re-register to secondary. I can re-register to the primary.

I have factory reset the Echo devices. When trying to re-register on the secondary account, setup proceeds normally in the Alexa app to a point. I see the Echo devices' wifis, can connect to them, but when I return to the Alexa app after that, it seems stuck: only options to cancel setup, or restart setup (yellow ring). No list of wifis or opportunity to input passwords. Primary account setup breezes right past that point, as it should.

I am running the Alexa app under the secondary account, but on the same phone as the primary account owns. The secondary account has no phone number.

I'm out of theories for what's amiss. Ideas, solutions?