Solved! Alienware 15 R3 no audio whatsoever after reassembly(repaste)

Saad7

Commendable
Aug 18, 2016
i have a alienware 15 r3 which i opened it up to repaste liquid metal.Everything is working fine except for the sound.the speakers dont work.i have double checked the audio cable on motherboard and its connected.the sound icon shows a little cross on it..the audio jack is also NOT working. i tried to reinstall windows and do all the drivers again..all the device manager shit but to no avail
im not sure if i messed up the motherboard or somethnig else. :(

Solution
When you checked the connecting cables, for the sound, did you make sure to disconnect them and then reconnect them? That can make a large difference if they are not sitting right.

You said you worked with the drivers? Try it this way and see if it resolves the issue. If the first version doesn't work, try the second one.

Version 1...

1. Go to "Control Panel" and then "Device Manager".
2. Next go into the "Sound, video & game controllers". In there right click on your listed sound card.
3. Now click "Update Driver Software" and then click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
4. Here you want to click on "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
5. Now make sure you check the box that says "Show compatible...
When you checked the connecting cables, for the sound, did you make sure to disconnect them and then reconnect them? That can make a large difference if they are not sitting right.

You said you worked with the drivers? Try it this way and see if it resolves the issue. If the first version doesn't work, try the second one.

Version 1...

2. Next go into the "Sound, video & game controllers". In there right click on your listed sound card.
3. Now click "Update Driver Software" and then click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
4. Here you want to click on "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
5. Now make sure you check the box that says "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked.
6. When it gives you a list of devices, choose"High Definition Audio" and then click "Next".
7. When you get the update warning box click "Yes" and wait for it to install.
8. If it asks you to restart, be sure and do so.

Version 2...

2. Next go into the "Sound, video & game controllers".
3. Now right click on your listed sound card and choose "Uninstall".
4. Now make sure you check the option to delete the driver software box and then click "OK".
5. Restart the laptop.
6. Now go back into "Device Manager" and check again for your sound cards driver. (You may have to keep uninstalling & restarting until that device no longer appears in "Sound, video & game controllers" and instead "High Definition Audio Device" , the Windows native driver, appears in its place.)

NOTE: This may have to be repeated (possibly a few times) because there could be more than one driver for your system installed. Once it is finally clear of any specific driver, it should install the Windows native one.

Now, if after all this you don't hear any sound through the speakers or the headphone jack, then I would start looking at it being hardware.

Solution