Solved! Alienware 17 R2 shuts down within 5 sec

Apr 8, 2019
Hi everyone,

Recently I've bought an Alienware 17 R2 for pretty cheap off someone. He did mention that it had issues so i didn't get scammed.

When i start the laptop with AC adapter connected, it shuts off completely (like u would plug out AC adapter) within 5 seconds . It does not matter whether I try to go into windows or bios.

During boot, i get a message saying that the battery has faced permanent failure and needs to be replaced press f1 to continue. I've ordered a new battery so currently I'm waiting for it.

But the charger seems to be working fine, if i'm not wrong eventough the battery is dead, the laptop should not turn off like that?

Would appreciate any input.

Solution
Actually, some devices are set up to not work properly without a functioning battery. Even if it is barely functioning. I cant' say that is the case here for certain, but it does happen.

Be sure that the battery you buy is not an aftermarket one. They tend to not work well, sometimes not at all, and you risk damage to the device. Some aftermarket stuff is fine, laptop batteries are not one of them.

Should it still give you problems after purchase of the new battery, then I would look at the charger and possibly the motherboard. Lets hope it is just the battery though.
Actually, some devices are set up to not work properly without a functioning battery. Even if it is barely functioning. I cant' say that is the case here for certain, but it does happen.

Be sure that the battery you buy is not an aftermarket one. They tend to not work well, sometimes not at all, and you risk damage to the device. Some aftermarket stuff is fine, laptop batteries are not one of them.

Should it still give you problems after purchase of the new battery, then I would look at the charger and possibly the motherboard. Lets hope it is just the battery though.

Solution