Alienware m17x r4 3 screen issue

Skov11

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Alienware m17x r4 speccy link for hardware below
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/ulRkOKwEpHucQhzm0eKIaJh

Bit of a strange issue here. I had 3 screens working perfectly, one HDMI one VGA and 3rd laptop screen.

My CPU was running in the 80s while gaming so I was tweaking settings to see if I could get the temp down. I did an optimal reset on the BIOS because I read it could reset fan speeds if they had problems or anything. and all of a sudden I could no longer run 3 screens. I search through the BIOS and there is nothing and nowhere to change any graphics settings. It just shows me what graphics are in the PC.

When I turned PC back on it reinstalled nvidia and intel drivers but now I cannot run 3. Computer loads any combo of the two monitors. Also it installed the intel HD graphics control panel which I did not have on my PC before.

Since then I have used a restore program to take my PC back to essentially stock (about a week ago I reset everything and made a full backup, so i used that). Still unable to get 3rd screen to extend even though it worked at the time of that backup.

Other steps taken, rollback on nvidia and intel hd 4000 drivers didn't work. complete uninstall/reinstall of drivers didn't work. BIOS is up to date.

Another strange part of this is before this I do not recall intel 4000 HD showing up in device manager and now it is. Speccy is also telling me SLI disabled which I am fairly certain it did not say before either, don't know if that means anything considering its just onboard and 1 graphics card.

My only idea left is to completely reset windows again, which will be twice in two weeks (had memory fail, everything went crazy did a fresh install). Any help is much appreciated, usually pretty good at finding solutions but this one has me bashing my head into the wall.

Solution
FIXED! for anyone going through this nightmare what finally fixed it for me was installing the alienware OSD (on screen display) and using the switchable graphics key command (fn+f7), reboot, and 3rd finally worked.

Pretty sure when i reset to optimal on bios it switched it back causing the issue. thank god its over

Skov11

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
update, reset it all back to a clean install of windows. still cant get 3rd screen to turn on. recognizes them all, lets me do any combo of two. About ready to throw it out the window.

Skov11

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
FIXED! for anyone going through this nightmare what finally fixed it for me was installing the alienware OSD (on screen display) and using the switchable graphics key command (fn+f7), reboot, and 3rd finally worked.

Pretty sure when i reset to optimal on bios it switched it back causing the issue. thank god its over

Solution