Allocating graphics ram in laptop apu and is more ram better?

-CrossFire-

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016
Hi I was wondering if it was possible to change the amount of ram the integrated graphics processor/card gets in the apu. My laptop is Dell Inspiron 15 5555 with amd a10 and Radeon r6 integrated graphics and 8 go of ram. I could go to 16gb if that is how I would give my gpu more of my ram, but is there a way to adjust it so it gets more? That’s the problem. Also if I upgrade to 16 gb will my games run better? They are barely running now at about 20fps average ( I’m talking about rainbow six siege and others)
Thanks,

Solution
Go into the laptop BIOS setup and see if there is an option to change the RAM. It will not likely to help you though, your limitation is the base speed of the laptop. Using the fastest RAM your system will support in dual channel mode with help with video speeds, meaning two sticks of RAM. If you already have two 4GB sticks at the fastest speed the system will run, then you don't need to upgrade to 16. What will help you most is getting a faster laptop.

If no option in the BIOS, it's going to be discreetly allocated. Adding more system memory should allow the APU/integrated GPU to use more for its own graphics processing, though I believe there's still a limit imposed that you can't do anything about (no matter how much system RAM you add).

-CrossFire-

Commendable
Aug 10, 2016

The thing my game needs is more memory for the integrated gpu, so wouldn’t it help to get more ram or edit the bios? Also, I know this is asking a bit much but could you link me faster 8gb ram for my dell Inspiron 15 5555? I would have no idea where to look!

Thanks,

Jake

As I said, you can try to change it in the BIOS, but adding more RAM won't help you aside from any speed boost you get from faster RAM and running it in dual channel mode. Lower end laptops without a separate gaming video card will be slow running games, changing the RAM dedicated to the video card will not help much.

www.crucial.com would be a good place to order RAM if you are not sure what you need, they have a system scanner and you can also just type in your model to find compatible RAM.

Solution