Am I allowed to use my flash drive as a hard drive on my PC?

KookieKR

Estimable
Apr 20, 2016
I didn't want to buy any PC storage because they were too expensive. I recently bough a flash drive though. Am I allowed to download things and put it on the flash drive?
E.G: Open WinRar files in my flashdrive.
Is it possible?

Solution
Maybe depends on size of files but all flash drives are, are mini hard drives but also remember if your PC's OS is not installed you can't put that on a flash drive it is way to big.

GolDove

Commendable
Apr 8, 2016
Maybe depends on size of files but all flash drives are, are mini hard drives but also remember if your PC's OS is not installed you can't put that on a flash drive it is way to big.

Solution

Calculagator

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
Flash drives are usually quite a bit more expensive per Gigabyte than normal Hard Drives and SSDs. They are also quite a bit slower and less reliable. If you are trying to save money, they are not the way to go.
You can, however, use them just like a (small, slow) hard drive.

nukemaster

Distinguished
You can store anything you want on your flash drive. That is what people use them for. Some flash drives are bigger/smaller and faster/slower than others.

Windows will use the flash drive like any other drive. You can copy/paste/edit/delete files in the same way. If you have a card reader even SD cards can be had for cheap(not hard drive cheap when you take into consideration the space, but still cheap).

If you need storage on the cheap, hard drives are fairly cheap compared to solid state drives and for file storage the speed is roe than enough.