AMD 5.1 over HDMI

phaves

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
OK I've had a Google but can't find an answer so I thought I'd ask.
So the problem is I only get 2 channels option in the output options over HDMI - it shows Dolby Digital and DTS as supported encoded formats but only 2 channels for uncompressed.
My set is:
Radeon R290 HDMI connected to
LG 55EG920V connected via HDMI and ARC (I think) to
Sony AV receiver STR-DH820

So what am I missing?
And I don't want to connect the PC to the AVR directly as the AVR isn't 4k and the TV is.
Thanks
Paul

Solution
You have to connect to the Sony receiver mate if you want 5.1

The problem is the TV, due to dolby licensing the TV will not pass through 5.1 audio from an external source to your receiver.
The TV is seen as stereo only by your PC so thats what you'll get.
You have to connect to the Sony receiver mate if you want 5.1

The problem is the TV, due to dolby licensing the TV will not pass through 5.1 audio from an external source to your receiver.
The TV is seen as stereo only by your PC so thats what you'll get.

Solution

phaves

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011

I've plugged my Sky box directly into the TV and that outputs DD 5.1 to the AVR through the TV.
Also I'm more interested in getting uncompressed 5.1 sound from the PC to the AVR - which I can't see has anything to do with Dolby licencing.

^ then its mainly clear that your TV won't pass through uncompressed 5.1, its down mixing it to stereo , your GPU HDMI out sees the TV as a stereo appliance therefore will only output uncompressed audio (pcm) in stereo.

I own the str-dh820 myself , it accepts up to 7.1pcm signals from amd/nvidia/Intel audio IF the PC is connected directly to the receiver.

Have you tried switching TV & receiver on before turning on your PC ??
There is a small chance that with arc enabled your pc may see the receiver as the audio device rather than the TV.
Doesn't work on either my sharp or Samsung panels though.
It did work on my old LG plasma using optical out.