AMOLED Shortage Causes HTC to Use Super LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Really, How bad is the quality of picture on a 3.7 inch screen going from a AMOLED to a SLCD??? And won't the box tell you what the hardware specs are?

rsg22

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
The difference is really not that big, to be honest.

This could also mean they are putting the AMOLED displays into a newer phone that is in production?

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
File this under non-issue. Just like 720P vs. 1080P, most people, when not told beforehand, can't tell the difference. Yes, a few people with exceptional eyesight and experience with both technologies might be able to point out the difference, however, most people will never know. Especially your average consumer, who doesn't know what AMOLED or LCD even mean.

Besides, everyone agrees the iPhone4 screen is good, and that's LCD, so don't discount the tech just yet.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Isn't SLCD also know is H-IPS; the far superior panel used in high-end monitors and iPhone4? I heard H-IPS has superior color accuracy and pixel sharpness compares with the current crop of AMOLED.

(Samsung’s Super AMOLED for their own phone is said to be far superior to the crap AMOLED they sold HTC and comes close to H-IPS)

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom](Samsung’s Super AMOLED for their own phone is said to be far superior to the crap AMOLED they sold HTC and comes close to H-IPS)[/citation]

thisthisthisthis

The Samsung S-AMOLED is the only thing worth looking at on a handset, it makes the HTC AMOLED screens on the Nexus one, Incredible, and others look like crap. Any good LCD (like the one found on the iPhone4 or Motorola droids) will make them look like crap too. If you want to look at "fantastic" white text on a black background go for the AMOLED screens; but if you like pictures and other things not reminiscent of a 1980s dos computer, you need to stay away from them.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
YESTERDAY:
LCD technology is crap. We're selling you the top of the crop: the AMOLED screen: brighter, better viewing angles, lowest power consumption. Boooh to the competition that still dares to sell you any screen which has LCD in it's name ! (Apple?)

TODAY:
We can't buy enough AMOLED screens. Now we're selling you the best among the bests: the Super LCD screen. brighter, better viewing angles, lowest power consumption. It's like a retina display, but with less pixels (It's better for your CPU). Boooh to the competition that still dares selling you any screen that has LED in it's name ! (Samsung?)

TOMORROW
Apple is eating up all the SLCD screens that they call H-IPS. So we'll sell you classic LCD screens. It's proven technology, with visible pixels. It's better for your battery life (regularly draining the battery completely regenerates it), for your eyes (too much brightness damages your retina) and the bigger pixels are visible (quite reassuring: no information can be hidden in the picture). Booh to ... uh ....

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I wonder if they will be able to reproduce the "pink/purple" color effect that I see on my desire's AMOLED display when you put brightness to the lowest setting ;-)

Socnom

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]thisthisthisthisThe Samsung S-AMOLED is the only thing worth looking at on a handset, it makes the HTC AMOLED screens on the Nexus one, Incredible, and others look like crap. Any good LCD (like the one found on the iPhone4 or Motorola droids) will make them look like crap too. If you want to look at "fantastic" white text on a black background go for the AMOLED screens; but if you like pictures and other things not reminiscent of a 1980s dos computer, you need to stay away from them.[/citation]
Who said that? As far as paper specs go, many screens are better then the other, but it is all about how that technology functions in everyday application. What it should do is change the price of the phone if it is cheaper to manufacture with the SLCD.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]File this under non-issue. Just like 720P vs. 1080P, most people, when not told beforehand, can't tell the difference.[/citation]

You gotta be blind not to see the dif between 1920*1080 vs 1280*720. Even 1366*768 looks horrible on a decent display.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]Socnom[/nom]Who said that? As far as paper specs go, many screens are better then the other, but it is all about how that technology functions in everyday application. What it should do is change the price of the phone if it is cheaper to manufacture with the SLCD.[/citation]
I did, just now. I have spent a decent amount of time scrutinizing these displays in person. I am a photographer who wears corrective lenses and my vision (thanks to the glasses) is far sharper than average. I am also a nitpicker.

The AMOLED used on HTC phones is utter trash when compared with an LCD, unless your *only* interest is how dark the black is. It has a visible diagonal trellis thanks to the staggered red and blue subpixels, and the white balance is terrible. The S-AMOLED used in the new Samsung phones is a good step forward, better pixel balance and better whites but it still lacks the true subpixel sharpness you get with the arrangement on an LCD. As of today I would still much rather have a LCD screen on a handset than an AMOLED one. The only use case for AMOLED is getting true blacks in a dark room; if you use your phone in a cave a lot then you should consider it. If not, you are better off going with an LCD screen. The energy saving claims on AMOLED have not panned out at all, unless you keep the display very dark and use a lot of white-on-black text/graphics.

I am actually considering upgrading to the HTC Incredible, IF and only IF they fully switch to S-LCD.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Comparable my ass! Anyone that has seen AMOLED displays will not be satisfied with "Super LCD". That's like comparing those old, clunky DLP rear-projection big screen TVs with the newer plasma screen TVs (well, maybe not QUITE that bad, but close). They should really be offereing a discount to anyone getting a phone with the SLCDs instead of the AMOLEDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.