Amplifier headphones smartphone

ProcessKiller

Commendable
May 28, 2016
Hi all,
I don't know anything about audio amplifiers. Could you advise me a good quality audio amplifier? it should connect devices like smartphones and ipod to high impedance headphones. They can be also not portable.

thank you

Solution
do you need an amplifier for the dt770?

that depends. the headphones themselves are generally fairly easy to drive considering their high efficiency so many devices other than ones with very weak amplifiers should be able to power them. with that said, you will certainly get more out of them and better bass levels by using an amplifier with enough power and i'm not sure if a phone, ipod or onboard audio from a pc will really be able to push the best out of them. you could certainly try them out without an amp to see what you think of them direct from your devices which is what i would suggest given its hard to know just how good the amps are in different products without such a test.

if you feel they are underpowered and dont sound...
if you want an amplifier only, there are certainly plenty of products which will work. any "headphone amplifier" would fit your needs. if you need it to be a DAC as well that is where things get tricky.

want portable?
fiio a3, a5 or e12. jds o2 if you get the battery.

want a dac which works with android phones on the amp?
fiio e18

want something strong which can handle most headphones?
schiit magni, jds o2

at around $100 the magni is a good buy considering quality, power and price. the fiio products are pretty decent for the lower price point if you need something cheap.

ProcessKiller

Commendable
May 28, 2016
I add some information about my initial question if could be useful.
My budget is around € 100, but if there are audio amplifier which have a greater cost I want know about that however.
The headphones I use are the Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro with 80 ohm of impedance. In the description of the product in amazon uk I read that perhaps I don't need to buy an audio amplifier, but reading many forums / articles about this type of use I'm in doubt, so I want to understand if I cannot use those headphones with smartphones, ipod and pc which audio amplifier I should choose.

My target is listening music with those headphones connecting it to smartphones, pc, ipod.

Thank you very much

do you need an amplifier for the dt770?

that depends. the headphones themselves are generally fairly easy to drive considering their high efficiency so many devices other than ones with very weak amplifiers should be able to power them. with that said, you will certainly get more out of them and better bass levels by using an amplifier with enough power and i'm not sure if a phone, ipod or onboard audio from a pc will really be able to push the best out of them. you could certainly try them out without an amp to see what you think of them direct from your devices which is what i would suggest given its hard to know just how good the amps are in different products without such a test.

if you feel they are underpowered and dont sound right then get an amp.

Solution