Amplifier suggestions for DT 990 Pro headphones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spazbandicoot

Prominent
Jan 24, 2018
Hi there,

I don't really know what category to put this under, but I'm looking to invest in some DT 990 Pro headphones and an amplifier for them.

Problem is, I don't know much at all when it comes to specifications of amplifiers and stuff like the headphone's impedance.
(I only know that the DT 990 Pros have an impedance of 250 ohms)

I was hoping someone can help find me a good amp that will support these headphones.

Please reply.

Thanks.

Solution
D
A great many people love the DT 990s just be aware they're very V shaped with boosted highs and lows and recessed mids. They are a great choice for gaming where you want an exciting sound but they are known to have very pronounced treble which is a problem for some people. And the recessed mids mean music with vocals won't be ideal.

With that budget take a look at Philips Fidelio X2s. Same if not better comfort, huge soundstage, the best bass in an open headphone while being more neutral than the DT 990s. Also they're only 32 ohm so you don't 'need' an amp/DAC although if you choose to add them later the X2s would benefit.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=Z_RJ3M_v8is"][/video]

They're about $350 here in the US but I think they're cheaper on your side of the pond.

The Sony MDR 1A...
D

Deleted member 217926

Why are you set on DT 990s? What are you going to be using them for and what's your total budget?

spazbandicoot

Prominent
Jan 24, 2018

For these headphones and an amplifier, I would be willing to spend around a total of £300.

I'm going for the DT 990 Pros because I like to and plan to edit videos often in the near future, and I listen to a lot of music.

I've heard many recommendations for these headphones as they are 'comfortable for long sessions' (I spend a lot of time here on my computer.) and the sound quality is apparently great for it's price.

I just want the best quality audio experience for my money.

SkyBill40

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
Focal and Audio Technica also make some outstanding studio monitors. Don't rule them out without having listened to them for the sake of comparison. Word of mouth is great and all but absolutely nothing beats first hand experience.

D

Deleted member 217926

A great many people love the DT 990s just be aware they're very V shaped with boosted highs and lows and recessed mids. They are a great choice for gaming where you want an exciting sound but they are known to have very pronounced treble which is a problem for some people. And the recessed mids mean music with vocals won't be ideal.

With that budget take a look at Philips Fidelio X2s. Same if not better comfort, huge soundstage, the best bass in an open headphone while being more neutral than the DT 990s. Also they're only 32 ohm so you don't 'need' an amp/DAC although if you choose to add them later the X2s would benefit.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=Z_RJ3M_v8is"][/video]

They're about $350 here in the US but I think they're cheaper on your side of the pond.

The Sony MDR 1A is very good closed back alternative with all the benefits of the X2 including not needing an amp.

Solution
D

Deleted member 217926

That's really dependent on individual headphones. Also as much as I'd love to recommend him some Focals I think their cheapest headphone is the $700 USD Massdrop x Focal Elex. And you're looking at another ~$500 USD for an amp/DAC chain to do it justice. :lol:

spazbandicoot

Prominent
Jan 24, 2018

I've seen many people with these Philips Fidelio X2s and I never knew the name of them until now.

They seem like a great choice for me, considering they are open-back (my preference) with no money needed to be spent on an amp/dac and the price is less than £200 here in the UK.

I'll be keeping my eye on these headphones, they do seem like a good alternative to the DT 990 Pros after all.

Thanks everyone, this was a huge help. ;)

SkyBill40

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013

The Focal Spirit Pros can be found for less than $200 US. There are also these:

https://www.focal.com/headphones/listen-professional/

As for a DAC, that varies greatly as there are several solid ones that can be found in the same price range. It's more a matter of what he has available based on where he is.

D

Deleted member 217926

The X2s are quite often favorably compared to the Sennheiser HD 600s and 650s ( I have both Sennheisers ). Tyell at InnerFidelity would have replaced the HD 600s on the Wall of Fame with the X2s but the low impedance of the X2s makes them not ideal for high output impedance tube amps.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/boss-philips-fidelio-x2

Status
Not open for further replies.