Analysts: Blu-ray to Overtake Digital Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So, did they factor in the announcement by Charter to offer 60mbps?

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I am very confused as to why people think blu-ray will see these humongous leaps in sales in what is looking to be the worst financial year in the United States in 25+ years. I used to be a buyer of blu-ray as did many people I know but I have purchased exactly ZERO movies since about mid-September. I see no reason to believe that as the financial problems worsen overpriced media such as blu-ray will pick up in sales.

dvmoo7

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Blue ray is a new dying tech. IMHO, i think BR/DVD is going to follow the same demise as the music CD's, internet downloading and streaming..

PrangeWay

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
Worldwide global recessions, worse us recession since the Great Depression. Blue Ray sales increase 150%? I think these "anaylsts" will need new jobs soon. -Note I do own a BlueRay Player and Blue Ray movies.

G

Are we all forgetting that one of the biggest draws to DVD, Bluray is the sound?? 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 in all the new DTS/Dolby codecs. That takes a lot of info to bring them to your home theater, I just don't see how a digital download can include the sound the way a directors intended ... without the file being 20-30gb

G

10Mbps download stream is enough for hi-def with 7.1 dolby whatever sound in real time. One major broadband overhaul and discs will be obsolete for everything but backup.

roadrunner197069

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2007
Steaming is the new deal. Blu-ray is dead!!!!!!!!!!

The internet is getting faster all the time. In my area it is quick and easy to download 50GB

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]PrangeWay[/nom]Worldwide global recessions, worse us recession since the Great Depression. Blue Ray sales increase 150%? I think these "anaylsts" will need new jobs soon. -Note I do own a BlueRay Player and Blue Ray movies.[/citation]

It's been shown that when the economy is doing bad, home media does extremely well. People prefer to watch movies, and play games at home, then go out.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
For anyone who wants digital content and prefers HD, BluRay is really the only viable option... even for those who have a fast Internet connection, the most popular ISPs (Comcast and others) have relatively low monthly caps in terms of how BIG this content is.

Maybe the BluRay market will grow this 150% because of Netflix and Blockbuster buying them for their home programs. :)

roadrunner197069

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2007
I use charter with no limits. I download at speeds of 2000KB/s, it dont take to long to get what ever I want.

I watch blu ray rips no problemo.

Soon all ISP's will be forced to remove limits. Its onlt a matter of time.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]It's been shown that when the economy is doing bad, home media does extremely well. People prefer to watch movies, and play games at home, then go out.[/citation]

I am sure that people will be very excited to spend 5-6 times more on a movie when they don't have a job. DVD sales will go up, not blu-ray.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]I am sure that people will be very excited to spend 5-6 times more on a movie when they don't have a job. DVD sales will go up, not blu-ray.[/citation]
Where the hell do you live?

Where I live Blu-rays cost a forth to a third more, and in some cases, there isn't even a price difference.

ViPr

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
By the way, aren't legal movie downloads right now more compressed than blu-ray even when they are still the same resolution.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Streming is suitable in areast with very dence population...
The price betveen DVD and Blu ray will become closer together, so thi prediction bay be near the truth actually. Byt as has been said: "It is hard to predict, exspecially to predict future..." :)

G

99% of the USA home broadband infrastructure could not stream anywhere close to BluRay level video and uncompressed PCM audio.

Anyone who thinks you could stream it over a 10Mbs connection is dreaming.

BluRay is designed for people who want the best picture and sound possible mostly movie lovers. If you are watching compressed rips of Bluray movies you don't care about video and audio.

Also it's worth pointing out, very few people actually have a true 1080p TV and receivers that will either decode DTS HD/Dolby HD or output 7.1 uncompressed audio let along the speaker setup for this.

mikeynavy1976

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
While I admit that for some streaming is the way to go, for me, right now, Blu-Ray is the best. I say that because from what I've read Netflix downloads HD video, but you aren't getting HD Audio (True HD and DTS HDMA). Same with On Demand and using cable to download. If I'm wrong please enlighten me but that was the last I heard. Second, in order for me to stream HD content from Netflix, I need another apparatus, and have to connect it to the Internet. Either that means going wireless...which limits bandwidth...or running exterior cable from my office to my living room. I live in an apartment so I can't exactly go through the wall. That or pay to rent another cable modem for the living room to hook up the other cable outlet. I'd rather not. Finally, I've watched an On Demand HD movie and it is about as good as watching HBOHD or another premium movie channel. Neither live up to Blu-Ray in picture or audio quality. Someday, when our economy is better, and cost allows infrastructure to update to allowing more convenient and better quality HD Streaming, I'll definitely do it. For the next few years, I'll stick to external media (Blu-Ray and DVD).

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
Well.. Streaming really does have a long way to go to match the quality that is capable with blu-ray. That's not to say that the quality that is "perceived" by the viewer has a long way to go. All HD has to be encoded and compressed for streaming. Usually they use H.264 which is not a lossless format. So is there a difference? Yes/No/Maybe?

Technically: Yes
If you watch on a 19 inch screen: NO
If your TV is bigger than 42 inches (maybe)

The compression on my 61 inch TV from 7 feet away IS noticeable. On my 42 inch from 7 feet there is no perceived degradation of quality.

I think Blu-Ray is here to stay. It probably won't have the success that DVD did... but there is definitely going to be a market for it.

MrHorspwer

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
We all know that only a few consumers currently have the actual bandwidth capabilities to stream an HD movie. What happens when streaming becomes more mainstream and begins to eat up more and more of the ISP's available bandwidth? Already, we have ISPs putting bandwidth caps as a means to curb file sharing. What are they going to do to control bandwidth when the downloads become legit?

ISPs want to make as much money on as little bandwidth as possible. I think charging to raise bandwidth caps will be their next play in an effort to pry into consumers pockets. "You want to stream more than 5 HD movies a month? You'll be over your bandwidth cap. For an extra $20 a month, we can raise that cap..."

Status
Not open for further replies.