Android 2.x Devices Getting OpenGL ES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
You dropped the iPhone? I think that's bigger news than select Android devices catching up to the iPhone and the Palm Pre.

I hope they make porting the iPhone games over as easy as Palm is doing with it's PDK. More games on more phones, yay!

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
"On another note, Quake III Arena and Quake 2 simply rock on the Droid."

No they don't!

If a quaker wrote that he should be ashamed of himself, quake is for PC only and requires expensive/pro gaming gear mice/pads/keyboard. If a noob wrote that, please play quake for about 5 years until you can rocket jump until it's easier than taking a walk just learn what that game is about.

Quake on any mobile device is just a gimmick. I'm an old gamer that has played all version of quake. Quake is a "PC" game by definition. It's all about reflexes, skill, movement and aim, also called: "deathmach".

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]Cryogenic[/nom]"On another note, Quake III Arena and Quake 2 simply rock on the Droid."No they don't!If a quaker wrote that he should be ashamed of himself, quake is for PC only and requires expensive/pro gaming gear mice/pads/keyboard. If a noob wrote that, please play quake for about 5 years until you can rocket jump until it's easier than taking a walk just learn what that game is about.Quake on any mobile device is just a gimmick. I'm an old gamer that has played all version of quake. Quake is a "PC" game by definition. It's all about reflexes, skill, movement and aim, also called: "deathmach".[/citation]
Agreed. However, for killing boredom on a long trip having Quake with some bots should be fin ;)

JackMomma

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
wow, someone is taking quake waayyy too seriously. its a gimmick, but its fun and it fits in your pocket... that sounds wierd.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
About freaking time they added OGL ES 2.0 support to their native dev kit. Now maybe we'll start seeing some more real killer apps - games!

fjjb

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Man, everyone talking about iphones and droids stuff not having some features but really you should look for people like me who have a phone which doesnt even support flash player :( just be happy with your phone

billj214

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
My Droid still has so many things it can do that I haven't found out about yet! I would really like to see a flash player but that has been a discussion on the Iphone forums for years now, i wont hold my breath! As for the OpenGL I think people will install a cool game or two but only for showing off what the phone can do, nobody plays phone based games for any long period of time, just for eye candy!

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Agreed. However, for killing boredom on a long trip having Quake with some bots should be fin[/citation]
Shut your pie-hole, I too have played these games from their inception as a genre and I enjoy playing Q3 Arena on my Droid. It's a great way to kill time waiting at the docs office or a million other places I have to wait. So get over yourself, your purist BS, and think about something beyond your narrow view of what these games can be.

ukcal

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Ha, I didn't know games were still popular on phones (other than the iPhone). Anyone who has unlimited internet on their phones tends to browse the web in 'free time' than play games. Myself included... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.