Android 5.0 Q3 Arrival Might Be Bad for Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightbladeXX

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2007
Manufacturers say it's also a carrier issue as they seemingly each determine if a specific smartphone is worthy of upgrading.

Most dont give a damn about their "old" phones my Galaxy S is on 2.2

Borisblade7

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
keep in mind, you dont do 3.x on a phone, thats for tablets only. So you arent way behind with a 2.x version when it comes to phones. 4.0 just unified the tablet/phone os.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]mindless728[/nom]I already have ICS, thanks to the kind developers that make custom roms[/citation]

I have played around with ICS on the Asus Transformer Prime. It is a good bit better than previous versions of Android. I now have the latest build of Cyanogenmod 9 Alpha 2 loaded on my HP Touchpad and haven't looked back to WebOS since. Little buggy at times but works pretty good for the most part. Looking forward to taking a look at JB although I wish Cyanogen mod would finish ICS first.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
The main reason everyone isn't on ICS is because of the carriers. Need to bog down roms with their adware and data logging software.

G

You know, if they went with smaller version numbers like

2.2 Froyo
2.3 Gingerbread
2.4 Honeycomb
2.5 ICS
2.6 Jellybean

Then people who don't know anything about software development, packaging and versioning anyways would stop complaining about being 3 versions behind... That, is their mistake, not rapidly developing an already best-in-class product.

G

Haven't previous releases traditionally been 6-9 months apart? Why is this now an issue? The delays seem to always come from the carriers.

jurassic512

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
They have 20+ Linux desktop distros, and now it's happening with Android. Linux is a stain that needs to be removed. Keep it on servers and in 3rd world countries, and away from consumers.

G

While I doubt this rumor is much more accurate than their previous one stating a 2nd quarter release, at least it is going in the right direction. That is, expect a release around November. That seems to be the cadence they are shooting for. Additionally, I also seriously doubt that this version is going to be geared towards tablets, as earlier rumors have suggested.

@jurassic512:
Have a Linux on me. I've got plenty:)

unionoob

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
[citation][nom]jurassic512[/nom]Connect to Kies and get 2.3.3 already.[/citation]

Depends, if you got Samsung then better don't, 2.3.3 has some problems bith battery life.. I hope they will release an patch to fix that.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
I don't think this is true. After all, ICS was delayed for a significant amount of time. I think Google is only chumming the waters.

But if this news turn out to be true. I'd like to say " Wake up Google, this isn't Chrome".

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]mindless728[/nom]I already have ICS, thanks to the kind developers that make custom roms[/citation]

But I don't trust these roms for my new Galaxy Note.

Status
Not open for further replies.