Android Browser Now World's Most Popular Mobile Browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
On the mobile side, I doubt most people bother with alternatives. On the desktop side, I'm glad to see IE share dropping (that browser is total crap anyway) but don't like that Chrome is gaining - Google makes their money off stalking, I mean tracking, people online, so why should I trust them? I use Firefox. It has the best addons anyway (Chrome is ok, but you can't have things like stratiform that completely change the UI and things like Ghostery can't block as effectively; it's better than IE at least which has nothing good).

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]livebriand[/nom]On the mobile side, I doubt most people bother with alternatives. On the desktop side, I'm glad to see IE share dropping (that browser is total crap anyway) but don't like that Chrome is gaining - Google makes their money off stalking, I mean tracking, people online, so why should I trust them? I use Firefox. It has the best addons anyway (Chrome is ok, but you can't have things like stratiform that completely change the UI and things like Ghostery can't block as effectively; it's better than IE at least which has nothing good).well whats left for browsers:? firefox and opera are not looking that great these days[/citation]

well whats left for browsers:? firefox and opera are not looking that great these days. google stalking with chrome? do you have a tinfoil hat on your head too?

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
I still liking the Android browser better than Chrome for Android. CfA is still quite a bit buggy while the stock browser is just fine.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I guess Android browser is popular for the same reason IE is, it comes pre installed.

The fact that opera is doing so well demonstrates it's quality, as people have to look for and install it, and doesn't piggyback on program installs like Chrome does for the desktop.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]I guess Android browser is popular for the same reason IE is, it comes pre installed.The fact that opera is doing so well demonstrates it's quality, as people have to look for and install it, and doesn't piggyback on program installs like Chrome does for the desktop.[/citation]
Unfortunately, Opera Mobile 's latest iteration is also buggy as hell, crashes often. People have been complaining about it since last update. Hope they get their act together soon. I don't like to use default browsers either.

ronka

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2008
it just cant beat Opera, if android users know there are other than stock browser, Opera mobile or mini will be on top.. i mean REAL on top

rakesh_toms

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
[citation][nom]ronka[/nom]it just cant beat Opera, if android users know there are other than stock browser, Opera mobile or mini will be on top.. i mean REAL on top[/citation]
Agree 100 percent. Using opera as i am typing from a 2 years old Android phone running froyo. Full sites are just smooth and so usable. But Opera can use more memory than 512 mb on most old phones. That can cause occasional crashes.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]rakesh_toms[/nom]Agree 100 percent. Using opera as i am typing from a 2 years old Android phone running froyo. Full sites are just smooth and so usable. But Opera can use more memory than 512 mb on most old phones. That can cause occasional crashes.[/citation]

I use Opera mini on my Samsung Transform that has less than 256MB (it says it has 161MB, but I'm not sure because of the odd number). It doesn't crash on me. Did you only mean the regular Opera for Android when you said 512MB?

I know Opera mini has some trouble with some stuff. Mine refuses to work well with pictures, it always shrinks them down to a very small size and I can't see them well enough because of that. When I want to see pictures, I'm stuck using another browser despite Opera mini being faster.

G

The reason that Opera's market share is so high is because older phone OSes use Opera as a base for the built in browser, not because people are choosing to use it in favor of the built in browser on their smartphone.

Status
Not open for further replies.