Android Software won't update with RedPocket service!!?? Help!

Castamere81

Estimable
Mar 2, 2015
I am currently using an LG G5 phone (which is unlocked, and was previously used on the Verizon network), and my carrier is RedPocket Mobile. I've had the service for months now, but Android has yet to update. I checked the version of Android on the phone, and it is only Android v 6.0.1. When I tried to update the software, it just said "Software is up to date," which is clearly nonsense because there's been many updates....

At first, I thought maybe it was an issue with the phone itself, so I contacted LG. The phone was working fine, and they advised me to contact my carrier. Before contacting RedPocket, I thought maybe since the phone was originally on the Verizon network I could maybe get it through their website. I downloaded Verizon's Utility Application for Android updates to my computer and sync'd my phone to my computer and....the Utility App said it couldn't recognize the phone because it didn't have a Verizon sim card.

So, I contacted RedPocket Mobile about the issue. They told me that they no longer handle Android software updates and don't push the updates. They informed me I need to contact LG and have them update my phone. I told them LG informed me they don't handle that and basically, RedPocket said tough luck.

Any other way I can get my phone to update? If I bought a Verizon sim card can I get the phone to update through the Verizon Utility App even though I don't subscribe to Verizon? I'd also like to avoid manipulating the phone like rooting it, etc.

Solution
No way to do this without installing a custom ROM on the phone directly using a computer. You will need to be on the Verizon service to run the setup, not just have the card in the phone.

Castamere81

Estimable
Mar 2, 2015

Thanks for the info! Never done any custom ROM stuff before. Any suggestions or guides for a new timer trying it? Also if I install the custom ROM will I be able to update to 7.0 etc, w/o Verizon service?

If you do a web search you will find how to flash your phone, the custom ROM will have the new OS, but you will likely lose the Verizon branding, and like I said, there can be issues with using your phone properly once you do this, and getting it back to the original setup may be tricky. Unless you are prepared to toss your phone if this fails, I'd just keep the phone as is. I doubt moving to the new OS is worth it.