Android's Andy Rubin Slaps Down Apple's New Siri

Status
Not open for further replies.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Kevin is ignoring one essential point, which is that the phone is NOT doing any of that; it is merely a conduit between the user and a server that does all the heavy pulling. Knowing Apple, it would not surprise me a bit to find that there is some army of poorly paid operators somewhere in China or India that are typing the responses, so it will look more A.I.-like interaction.
Either way, the phone is not doing any intelligent work; because of that, I prefer to do my searches using the traditional way instead of talking into a phone and expecting some "magical" responses out of it.
BTW, BT earpieces have a proven record in making our lives safer and more convenient (in a long phone conversation you will thank the BT earpiece inventor for not having to hold the phone to your ear for too long). Way to ignore that point, Kevin.

Specter0420

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
The only time I (and i assume everyone else) talk to my phone (WP7 HD7) is when driving (navigation/text messaging, etc). All smart phones do this just fine.

inpendingdoom

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
i have got a 4s and i will admit that siri has been a huge help for when i am driving i can send messages and have them read to me with out touching my phone

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Is he on crack?

That's like saying, you just need a phone, not a smart phone... because you only use your phone, the thing loaded with all these features, for calling people...

Considering it's illegal to be using your phone while driving in most places, but using it handsfree is not, this is a pretty great inclusion. You'll be able to use the phone's features while driving, instead of just talking to people.

wardler

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
The real question is... will it matter when Google takes over the world?

On a more serious (or less serious) note, there is no way he is jealous because I am 110% sure that if Google wanted a voice feature for their Android OS, it would have one and it would be more intuitive than the Apple version. And like he admitted: if end-user's want it then you can bet Android will get it.

G

[citation][nom]inpendingdoom[/nom]i think he is pissed that he didn't come up with voice control first[/citation]
Neither did Apple, they bought the SIRI company.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]tgreader[/nom]Neither did Apple, they bought the SIRI company.[/citation]
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That can't be!! Apple is the most innovative company in the universe! Siri had to come from Jobs' brain!

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
What everybody misses here , is that this guy is not pointing fingers at SIRI`s voice activated commands , is about ppl actually talking to it like idiots ... you can see on youtube things like this and there`s even a song with it. Short story is :

SIRI - good for voice activated commands
SIRI - stupid/bullshit/useless for a chat companion, and to be honest you must be very lonely and sad person to actually enjoy a chat with your phone instead of another person

dotray

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2011
I agree Rubin's comments were not well thought through. However, while voice control isn't part of native Android releases, many phones have had voice control integrated for ages. The only innovation with siri is the marketing. The only world first with Siri is giving the voice control feature a marketable name before anyone else did.

CKKwan

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
If my phone should not be my assistant, then we all should buy Nokia 3210 instead, and dump Android, iPhone all together.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]Is he on crack?That's like saying, you just need a phone, not a smart phone... because you only use your phone, the thing loaded with all these features, for calling people...Considering it's illegal to be using your phone while driving in most places, but using it handsfree is not, this is a pretty great inclusion. You'll be able to use the phone's features while driving, instead of just talking to people.[/citation]

How about paying attention to the @#$%ing road instead of your phone when behind the wheel. That's the biggest problem today is people are too 'preoccupied' to properly operate a vehicle. Which is why auto accidents are one of the highest causes of death... Phones and all they distract us with contribute to that effect... Honestly, they should make an interruption system to block phone use in a moving vehicle... Hands-free voice calls only...

Ya, ya'll sit there and say 'pisha'... But when you're burring your own mother or best friend, as I have, due to someone who was 'on the phone... bla bla bla'... Only then, when it's too late, will you understand...

As for SIRI, Android has Vlingo... I've used both and see very little differences other than SIRI has caused me more problems with it trying to 'guess' what I want it really to do. Some people say SIRI has Vlingo beat and I do not understand this argument... So the software (which is now owned by a company publicly known for tracking user information... so...) tries to guess what you really meant. Though personally I don't like it over trigger-word type commands so you 'know' what it's going to do instead of hoping or assuming, it won't be long before others (Vlingo) follow suit with the more generic phrase recognition.

SIRI's biggest problem is Apple bought them and now the Android version is canceled... Honestly, this is a huge money loss and even possibly a total app killer in the end. If they at least had a port to Android, then they could make the sales from those devices also as well as increase their market-share instead of just the lower-market-share iOS devices anyhow. Especially for $200 million?!? You want to make that $ back, not potentially lose it cause you locked a product down to your own greed-filled products...

Sure, buying SIRI might have been a good move for Apple, but not locking it down... Plus, now that gives the competition like Vlingo, who will most likely catch up and/or surpass in due time, an edge with greater market-share with combined Android, iOS, Berry and Win support. In the end, if they don't change their ways, it'll be just another failure in the Apple history book...

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Jealous much? Android has similar capability, but Apple is doing what Apple does best -- marketing it better. Its unprofessional, and extremely telling that the best Andy can come up with is to bash Siri instead of pointing out how Android users have had this capability, and didn't know it, or just don't use it (i.e. Vlingo).

G

Talking to a device in a natural way is the evolution of the voice interface. I'm pro google but this guy should not be talking.

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]dark_knight33[/nom]Jealous much? Android has similar capability, but Apple is doing what Apple does best -- marketing it better. Its unprofessional, and extremely telling that the best Andy can come up with is to bash Siri instead of pointing out how Android users have had this capability, and didn't know it, or just don't use it (i.e. Vlingo).[/citation]
The number of stories of iPhone users who have casual but pointless conversations with Siri (i.e. "what's your favorite color?") is on the rise... It is indeed being used for more than just better organization. To that end, it's amazingly arrogant for anyone at Apple to call Siri "groundbreaking" or "a game changer" since voice commands have been present, and worked well, on many many phones before the iPhone 4S. Andy's comments are pretty silly in their own right, but hey when you are playing a preschool game (the smartphone marketing war Apple has created) you have to use preschool rules.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Siri, is not new, Siri has been around for years now , and it was purchased by Apple. Why do people keep talking about Siri as though it's a new application????????

YOu could have downloaded Siri as an since the iphone 3, what the!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.