Annoying IE Popup virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobz

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
Ok... My problem is this...

I have a virus that is causing IE to pop up every 2-3mins.. This minimizes out any full screen application Im running (game or movie) so it gets very very annoying!

I have somehow managed to stop it actually loading up IE but it still minimizes my applications and if I leave it for any length of time my computer will slow down because of so many IEs running in the background! Meaning I need to constantly keep task manager open to close the process constantly!

No virus scanners are finding anything and Im on vista so I have no way of getting rid of the disease that is IE!!!

Somebody please put me out of my misery!

bctaaka

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2008
disable internet and run full scan from safe mode with your scanner

if again does not pick up anything try this....

http://vil.nai.com/VIL/stinger/

G

I am having the exact same problems.
It's killing me whenever im playing something and in the zone all of a sudden some crap about dunkin donuts pops up

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME

maribel

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I was having the same problem - a sudden IE window with an ad popping up every few minutes. I'm not very computery, so I ended up just going down my task manager and googling every process I didn't know. Eventually I got to vnrpack22.exe. The internet won't explain to me what vnrpack is, but it seems to think it is undesirable. Anyway, I ended the process, and now I've been 20 minutes without a pop-up (whereas before they were happening every 4-5 minutes). I need to work on actually fixing the problem, though.

The Third Level

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
Try Malwarebytes, it's really impressive.

www.malwarebytes.org

It's been finding and removing things that many other programs are sometimes even unable to detect.

G

check your control panel for, internet saver optimizer remove this stopped all my pop ups.

G

check your control panel for, internet saver optimizer remove this stopped all my pop ups.

NT3000

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Same thing with me but when i download and use malwarebytes scanner and stuff it instantly gets uninstalled for some reason.
My only virus program is AVG and its working fine right now. I think its this msa.exe thing on my task list.
Check if you guys have it by openning task manager and checking your processes.
Here's what mine says:

msa.exe/ (user name)/ 05/ 107,716k/ msa

Turns out its a virus check on google its supposed to be a counterfeit Microsoft antivirus. Apparently it's major memory killer when using up 107 MB of memory thats 19% of my memory being wasted right there. (no wonder WolfTeam and CombatArms runs so slow!!)

**UPDATE**

I have discovered viruses by checking the process list of my task manager
You should try too and see if you find unnecessary processes

pc cleaner

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
I'm with ohiou_grad_06 :)

Install spybot search & destroy and update to the latest definitions.

Boot into safe mode and go through the clean up process *run spybot search & destroy*.

After the scan is complete, remove the malware that spybot finds. Also run through the immunization process to help prevent some further pop ups.

Reboot your OS and you should be clear of those annoying pop ups.

Hope this helps you :) please report back with how you went.

lilylongflower

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
disable IE and use mozilla firefox instead. have used mozilla for years but had this problem occasionally until i also disabled IE. here's how i did it with this technique found online

Step 1. From IE select Tools/Internet Options/Connections/LAN Settings.

Step 2. Put a tick in the check box next to "Use a Proxy Server for your LAN ...”

Step 3. Type in "0.0.0.0" in the address box and "80" in the Port box. Don't type in the quote marks of course, just what's inside them.

Step 4. Click OK.

What you've done is set up a dummy proxy server 0.0.0.0 that goes nowhere. With these setting IE cannot make an HTML connection to the internet and vice versa. You have simply and effectively disabled IE.

There's no magic in the 0.0.0.0 address, any dead proxy address would work just as well. I've used that particular address to keep things simple.

If you ever need to re-enable Internet Explorer start it up and select Tools/Internet Options/Connections/LAN Settings from the toolbar and un-check the box "Use a Proxy Server for your LAN ...”

iemakesmesad

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011

tried it, doesn't work. the pop-ups continued.

I, like many above, have the same pop-up issue with IE (even though i don't even USE IE), and initially to solve my problem I went to tools/work offline so all requests would be duds, right? Of course, all it does now is notify me every single time it the pop-up is requested and then reminding me of my offline settings.

Seriously, what can I do? Super worried about this, and like everyone else this pop-up is ridiculously frequent, as in every minute or so.

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
i would also recomend you drop avg and get a decent av like avira antivir. its free and has a much higher detection rate...
yes it does have 1 popup that appears when you get your daily update but you can turn that off with a little googling.

Status
Not open for further replies.