Anonymous Member Arrested After Posting Pic of Girlfriend

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]gnookergi[/nom]Should I be happy they busted another one of these guys? Or should I be scared that the FBI was able to track down a person through a picture because of logged GPS coordinates? If they can do it, so can anyone else.[/citation]

Yes, yes they can. Which is why the Department of Defense mandates that soldiers turn off any and all location tracking features in their smartphones. It's one of those features that has the vast potential to do harm.

Basically if you don't turn it off because you use it, never upload those pictures to the internet without first removing those coordinates.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
The irony of a so called hacktivist member of Anonymous getting busted for using a damn iPhone of all things. You'd think a group focused on abusing lax security flaws would be using something more secure and robust like oh I dunno just about anything else.

So much for all it's supposed security looks like the FBVirus finally infected the IPhuck's iProne cloudy twat via the twit's birdy. I guess it's like they say the early bird gets the w0rm or take your pick when you bite the Apple you get some federal pound you up the @$$.

sirencall

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
[citation][nom]mightymaxio[/nom]Well what about all the laws hackers circumvent to force their opinion? Isn't this the same thing that they do to us without our permission forcing us to believe in what they believe in? In my mind they are terrorists every last one of them so let them burn for their actions the same as a terrorist![/citation]
So would you be willing to look 9/11 families in the eye and tell them that what these guys did is on the same level having a family member never come home again? If you are so willing to give up the constitution for such a petty crime than you are against the very basis of our country. No one deserves to die for shutting down a website, or hacking data, or even identity theft. What you suggest says that we should not have laws at all and punish people according to what we feel is right. Im sorry but you concern me more than terrorist, and certainly much more than a hacker

G

So we are to believe that a hacker would have an iphone and a girlfriend?

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Anyone releaseing police personnel's personal information with addresses and phone No's needs their arses kicked.

Some Really nasty pieces of work some of those good cops put away safely are the Last people an officer would like to have handed their family's home address...

you might not like "The Police" but there are some Really Good people there too working hard to make our lives better.

I like to think Anonymous' actions on the whole lead to a safer world for all of us...
...but this guys actions are as stupid as it gets - people "could" still die as a result of this muppets actions -.-"

redeye

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2005
this guy is a poseur!... good riddance... how stupid to you have be to forget to strip the photo of exif data?... isn't anonymous a collective of survival-of-the-smartest(fittest)... really this guy is an embrassment to anonymous... forgetting to remove the exif data in a photo is NOT making a photo anonymous... thank-fully that anonymous is just that ANONYMOUS... jokers like this guy could sink it... (of course he could of been a mole working for the FBI, and the FBI noticed that this joker forget the remove the EXIF data and pulled him from the field...)

G

The truth: once they knew that he owned an iphone, Apple gave the feds his GPS location.

Apple does not care about you, your rights, or your privacy.

zachusaman

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
[citation][nom]mstngs351[/nom]They need to be sent somewhere that life is hard. Maybe then this punks will learn to appreciate how good they have it and stop endangering others just because they think it's cool.[/citation]
considering how easy it is to get a persons address/phone number and whatnot it is today, you just need to be able to use google (or any other search engine), not hack.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
He can spend his time in jail writing this down a million times: "I can't be anonymous if I want to be in the limelight with all my chatter and trash posts"

the_brute

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
PwNd by biGBrother, bOObs, & aPple.

I think this shows the quality of this "hacker". I had to laugh at this. But is the girls number anywhere?

G

iphone garbage go figure - cant disable the gps coords i guess
such a shame
Anonymous stay strong we are with you

mrmike_49

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]redeye[/nom]this guy is a poseur!... good riddance... how stupid to you have be to forget to strip the photo of exif data?... isn't anonymous a collective of survival-of-the-smartest(fittest)... really this guy is an embrassment to anonymous... forgetting to remove the exif data in a photo is NOT making a photo anonymous... thank-fully that anonymous is just that ANONYMOUS... jokers like this guy could sink it... (of course he could of been a mole working for the FBI, and the FBI noticed that this joker forget the remove the EXIF data and pulled him from the field...)[/citation]

call me paranoid - but what if he did strip the "exif data" before posting???

G

To the idiots blaming Apple for having GPS coordinates in the photograph, EXIF data is embedded into all modern digital photographs, but most devices are equipped with simple settings to turn it off. These "hackers" are not even smart enough to configure their own tools before using them to brag about being so 1337.

I am not an Apple fan in the least, but the ignorance of modern technology in this thread is overwhelming so I had to set the record straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS