Solved! Another Asus G73 Question: G73jhA1 for more practical computing purposes

G

Hello,
I am a musician who relies heavily on a computer for my live music/djing. At the moment I am in need of a new computer, and since I am mobile, a laptop would suit me much better than a desktop, although a custum build I would much rather like to have, touring with one is not feasible.

While first considering a Macbook, I am in need of windows based software, and do not much wish to run bootcamp on a Macbook Pro when the Asus G73 presents considerable performance at a much less cost.

Basicaly, I would need a fairly high end processor and at least 4 Gb of RAM to suit my needs, and it seems to fit both budget and performance.

What I need to ask this community is whether this computer is solely useful for gaming purposes only, or if it is usable in more professional services.

I am aware of the reduced battery life, but are there any other "drawbacks" to gaming laptops as opposed to more common laptops?

Solution
the gaming laptop will be fine but because you-re a professional musician you should see if it comes with a dedicated sound card rather than a dedicated gfx card

Upendra09

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
the gaming laptop will be fine but because you-re a professional musician you should see if it comes with a dedicated sound card rather than a dedicated gfx card

Solution
G

I run a PRESonus Firerack to act as the soundcard and MIDI IO for all audio. I can get better quiality audiio and midi IO with less latency then woth running a soundcard (except for something like a Hammerfall or other card with ADAT in).

Basically, would this be a better choice than Macbook Pro? How well does Windows 7 allocate an i7 720qm at 1.6GHz quadcore/8gb RAM as opposed to Snowleopard OS running a Core duo at 2.6? with only 4 Gb of RAM? If any inquiries to the Software It is both Image-Line Deckadance and FL9XXL.