Another Nexus 7 Defect Appears, Affects Touch Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
When you sell a few million devices, some are going to have problems. I think those experiencing these issues should get a new one swapped out. Mine is all good so far.

selden

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2012
At this point, we have no idea how many Nexus 7s have been sold, nor of the percentage that are having problems. This is the risk one takes with a brand new product — or even an existing one. I just looked up a March 2012 report that surveyed 50,000 iPad2 owners, and found a 10% failure rate within the first 12 months of ownership (largely through accidents, I suspect). This is what warranties are for. Warranty service also provides an extremely effective QA feedback loop, as the manufacturer has a strong motivation to keep defects as low as possible.

G

There is no such thing as a perfect product (Hi Apple --'). I have had the same problem with my nexus S, and I'm not the only one: http://yuanjie.name/entry/unresponsive-touchscreen-of-nexus-s-solved-by-tuning-kernel, some people on XDA worked on it http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=20981971&postcount=78%20hope%20it%20helps . In my case the problem remains from Gingerbread to Jelly Bean, you need to create a custom kernel for this issue by changing some parameters in the screen driver. No doubt that a fix will appear on android forums, stay tuned!

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]Cheap* like your education it seems.[/citation]

Oh, come on. You never posted a typo?
With no easy way to edit one's posts this is bound to happen.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Oh, come on. You never posted a typo?With no easy way to edit one's posts this is bound to happen.[/citation]
Click on the first link above the comments where it says "Read the comments on the forums". It bring to a forum thread where the comments are. You can edit your post there.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]When did Tom's become an iPad glory hole? They are prompt to post these articles regarding defects on the Nexus (unavoidable with as many devices as they sole), but for some reason are 3 days behind on everything else...[/citation]

It happens when the writers are biased towards a brand, nothing really new for this site!

besplatan

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
For my country (Serbia) Google not only doesn't sell the Nexus 7, they won't even sell me Google Play apps.

So they can go to hell, on Monday I'm getting the new iPad as I literally don't have a choice any more.

tuch92

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]When did Tom's become an iPad glory hole? They are prompt to post these articles regarding defects on the Nexus (unavoidable with as many devices as they sole), but for some reason are 3 days behind on everything else...[/citation]
I was thinking the same thing. The tone in this article is so negative; this product is facing a few issues and low supply, just like every other big device that launches. Demand for them is huge right now.

JeTJL

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
[citation][nom]besplatan[/nom]For my country (Serbia) Google not only doesn't sell the Nexus 7, they won't even sell me Google Play apps.So they can go to hell, on Monday I'm getting the new iPad as I literally don't have a choice any more.[/citation]

You can get the nexus 7 if you cross into the rest of Europe, or have some friend in Europe to ship it to you. When you get it you can root it and spoof your market thinking it's in a different country and then you can download apps from Google Play or use a different market like Amazon App Store.

besplatan

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
[citation][nom]JeTJL[/nom]You can get the nexus 7 if you cross into the rest of Europe, or have some friend in Europe to ship it to you. When you get it you can root it and spoof your market thinking it's in a different country and then you can download apps from Google Play or use a different market like Amazon App Store.[/citation]

That sounds like a lot of work just to reward Google's bad behavior. I want a cheap, compact, high performance tablet... but not that desperately. I guess I'll splurge for the new iPad (my first Apple product ever) and Google can just keep showing me ads that I ignore.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]tuch92[/nom]I was thinking the same thing. The tone in this article is so negative; this product is facing a few issues and low supply, just like every other big device that launches. Demand for them is huge right now.[/citation]Yeah, so when there's a batch of defective Windows tablets or iSomethings, you're gonna totally be here trying to stop all the negativity?

The fact is that they crammed a lot into a $200 tablet. That comes at a cost. The Kindle Fire doesn't compare in specs, and I don't think the Fire HD will be as powerful either. But the Fire also has a very good reputation, they're solid devices with few issues - unless you count being unable to access Google Play.

Even if the Fire HD meets all the hardware requirements, I suspect Google will still lock them out since they're a fork. Google controls their stuff tight, no matter what they want you to think. I would say let them on Google Play and use the magical compatibility crap they've been touting to let devs decide if they want to offer Fire-compatible versions on Play. Even lacking Google Play I might be getting the 10" Kindle Fire, if the price is right.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]The problem is that Toms is one of the few tech sites trying to push this stuff. favoring apple sems like the exact opposite a tech site would want to do...[/citation]No, a tech site shouldn't give a rat's butt who builds it. It's our job to decide what we want. Personally I can't stand Apple as a company, and on top of that most of their hardware isn't all that great, and it's quite overpriced with a few exceptions. However, if they went along with your suggestion, that would be injecting bias too.

Frankly, Tom's is usually pretty neutral when it comes to most hardware. Better than a lot of sites out there, even though nobody is perfect. There's a lot of buzz around the Nexus right now, it's only natural that all the issues being talked about end up here in some form. This is Google's own Nexus tablet, which everybody was talking about like the second coming. Frankly on paper it's a nice device, if a bit small for my taste.

G

Google did not make the product.. don't blame them..
but yeah, they should have better control of their product..
after all, people are going to blame Google.. not Ausu
I had a P5E motherboard.. nothing but problems, i have not brought any of
their products.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]sync497[/nom]Google did not make the product.. don't blame them..but yeah, they should have better control of their product..after all, people are going to blame Google.. not AusuI had a P5E motherboard.. nothing but problems, i have not brought any of their products.[/citation]Well, that's true, Asus built them. But Google didn't choose Asus for quality. They went with the lowest bidder - that ended up being Asus. I'm sure a lot of other companies were interested in building a ton of tablets for Google, but Asus beat their price. Well, you get what you pay for. Here's hoping the Nexus 10 will be better. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.