Antenna tv won't show DVD channel needed

Iampoor

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017
DVD player and antenna tv can't get on needed channel to work together. How do I fix this? Worked fine when I had cable but when they took the cable away because I couldn't afford it then I could never get the TV back on the channel needed for the DVD to play DVDs. I can't do it with the remote I have now and I can't do it trying to push the channels on the TV manually. It will not show channel 3 or 4 for example. I don't really know what to do and I'm not good with these kinds of things and I don't have anybody who can help me so if you have any advice please let me know. The antenna channels basically won't show any movies now and I don't like most of the shows that are on so I have nothing to watch except news. Is there anything I can do to play DVDs so I can buy or rent them and at least have something to watch?

Solution
Good Luck when the new remote arrives! You will get the best quality picture from the DVD player if you use the Component connections on the back of the TV. See page 22 of the manual. The component section is the green one. You only need 2 additional RCA cables, as you can use the current yellow one as well as your 2 audio cables, by switching them over to the component section.

The composite connection (AV2), will work, it is just the lowest quality of video. I think it is 480-I, compared to 720-P (DVD Quality) for the component connections. If you are interested in learning more about the different type of connections, here is a link to an article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_video
DVD players would normally be connected to an input on your TV other than the antenna so changing channels won't help. You need to select the input it's connected to. Is your remote the original? It should have a button labeled input or TV/Video.
If you previously used channel 3 or 4 to watch DVD then your player will have an RF modulator attached to it. If the antenna was connected to the TV directly instead of to this modulator (which usually has a switch on it to choose the DVD or the antenna) the DVD would have been disconnected.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
About how old is the TV? There should be 3 RCA jacks marked Video Input (Red, Blue and Green). Also there should be 2 more RCA jacks marked Audio Input (probably red and black). It is possible there is a S-Video jack which is a single jack with 4 small round holes and a rectangular hole for alignment, but these are less common nowdays. I remember in the old days you could connect a VCR player to the TV and tune it to channel 3 or 4, but that was a long time ago.

Iampoor

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017
https://m.imgur.com/c0x8v52?r
Hope this worked.
In addition, I have the original TV remote that fell on the floor and broke and does not work anymore. I didn't see one in the store just like it so I got a basic universal remote that is supposed to control everything but doesn't for me as I probably didn't get it set up right either. I don't know if this is part of the problem or not but I think it is more than that since I can't get the TV on the right channel without the remote either. Obviously I don't I don't know what I'm doing but I hope someone can help me. I can take pictures of these remotes if that will also help.

xSimply1337x

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
you said you can't get to channel 3 or 4 like you used to which tells me you are using a tube tv. If your DVD player connected to the TV by plugging into the cable box which was connected by the antenna cable and the DVD player connected to the cable box by either composite (yellow plug) or RGB (red, blue, green) then you need an RF switch that has the inputs for the DVD player but will plug into the TV using an RCA antenna cable.

But you should tell us exactly how everything connected to what when it all used to work. And you say that you can't change the TV channel to 3 or 4 anymore then that would be because they've been blacklisted in the TV settings. If you have the original remote for the TV you can manually input the channels and if the numbers in the corner for the channel come up in like a pink or red color then you need to press a button on the remote that unblocks that channel so that you can get to it by simply pressing the channel up or down buttons.

Iampoor

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017

Iampoor

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017
Ok here is what the tv and DVD look like and here are the remotes. The DVD remote is fine. The large tv Vizio remote is broken. The smaller one will change channels and adjust volume and turn tv on and off. That's about it. Lots of buttons do nothing when I push them, including the input button. As far as how everything was hooked up before, I don't remember because I've put up with this a couple years already.
https://imgur.com/gallery/VhCNG

Iampoor

Prominent
Apr 16, 2017
It has S video. I'll post pictures. The way everything is plugged in now is how it worked years ago before I moved and I had some basic cable services at least part of that time but that's really all I remember. I know I had to have a new box when I moved here and got services again and then of course they removed it because I couldn't afford it. I'm going to post pictures now.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
OK. You are using a composite video connection (the yellow one). Your best connection would be to connect the Component Video Out on the DVD player to the corresponding inputs on the TV, using RCA cables. The cables can be any color, just make sure the green, blue and red on the DVD player are connected to the corresponding inputs on the TV. Unless you have a s-Video cable, don't bother with that. The picture quality is not as good as using the Component Video.

Your system should work the way it is currently connected (although not at the highest picture quality using the composite video port). I think your problem is with the remote. You need to be able to select the input on the TV to Video, rather than TV (or cable or antenna, whatever the menu calls it.) Even without the remote, you should be able to select the input source from the menu buttons on the front of the TV.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
That is a fairly modern TV (given that it has a HDMI port). There should be no need to select a specific channel to allow playback from the DVD player (like in the old days with VCR machines). If you can give me the model number of the TV, I may be able to look up the manual online and find out how to select the input source.