IBTG

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
Is there any risk to install the official JDK together with Eclipse?

Im currently abroad and on a weak computer with cable and wireless network/s.

So, i dont want this computer wich belongs to my grandmother being hacked or something similar, viruses etc...

Any usefull insight is appreciated :)

// Daniel

Zenthar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm not sure why one could think there would be any risks? I currently have 3 different JDK + JRE installed (1.4, 1.5, 1.6), 4 different installation of Eclipse (3.5.1+MyEclipse 8.0, 3.5.1+MyEclipse 8.5, 3.5.2+MyEclipse 8.6, 3.6) and about 7 different workspaces ...

IBTG

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
Well maybe i know more than you :)

Either way, i believe the JDk makes your system easier to hack and im in a specially exposed area were th on;ly internet protection i have is a WEP password, wich is hackable.

But thanks for the comfort :)

//Daniel

Zenthar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I know a thing or two about security, used metasploit to gain access to a few linux/windows systems as part of a security seminar and not once did a JDK or SDK was a security whole by itself. A JDK is but but a set of library and a compiler, it doesn't make your system more vulnerable than Visual Studio .NET. Yes technically the JVM could be used to run malicious code, but so is the .NET VM and code could also be executed natively.

In the end, installing any software or even patches can make your system more vulnerable, but I think a JDK should really be the least of your concern.