Anyone interested in class action suit against HP

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

exactly same problem here, they recognise on their extended warranty program ..problem number 4: no power LED, no battery charging, not turning on.

I called them, want 479 to repair and later called by case manager to be only get discounted repair by 20%....,

just because they know the problem. the laptop started getting hot a lot while charging, i could not touch my charging pin, it was going so hot. and then one day it dies.. after 19 month of use... my motherboard is gone.

and we have full right to sue HP.

G

I am a very pissed and dissatisfied customer we had problems with thed wireless a couple of months after the warranty expired. Called bestbuy they gave us HP 's number. HP told us to send it in. We did, they called back and said it was not under warranty after they told us that it was a known problem that it would be fixed. They told us that they could fix it for $300 we told them no. They sent it back. Then we went on thier website and researched thier website. They had a recall for the wireless problem. We called them and they said to send it back and it would definitely be fixed with no problems. They sent us the box and we sent it back. They called us again and said that it was the motherboard and the wireless had to be fixed. They gave us two prices one was $250 for the motherboard and now the wireless was around 200. Even though we told them about the recall it did not matter. I asked to speak to a manager and was told that the person I was talking to was one. I was told the wireless would be fixed. I recieved the computer it was worse. i called and was told they would send another box to send it back and they would fix the wirelss. Sent it back and they called and said it would not be fixed cause coke was found all over the computer. Now that Im asking more questions now all of a sudden they are saying it will not be fix because of this problem. I will not accept this lie. I was never told anything about any coke. I was promised that thew problem would be taken care of. I have 2 oter computers that best buy will do something about.

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
the wireless issue is a manufacturer issue and only them they can fix it, by either replacing the motherboard or doing some bios fixes to let the wireless work free from
the os. if you spilled coke the whole laptop will die and not just the wireless so its completely a lie if they said they found coke "unless coke was spilled after it was returned by you or kid or the delivery driver or them!)

to be honest if they dont want to repair it for free they would know how to trick you to do that, there is no fix realy for your problem and coke spill or wireless not
turning blue would need a new mobo but HP is realy evil when it comes to warranty, avoid buying their laptops.

if you have warranty the day you called about the wirless problem, you must take them to justice,
evidence: on their website as your laptop qualified for a recall, that itself is enough
about the coke? i don't know realy

just let them know, you're going to law about this and they'll sort smth out

G

Actually, HP did not do their job. They only covered a select group of notebooks. I have an HP Pavilion dv9000 series entertainment notebook and I experienced the same problems, but because my machine wasn't on their "list", I was not covered and was told to pay $425 to get it fixed or to buy a new machine.

There's a difference between our product breaking and our product malfunctioning because it's defective. If HP is aware that this issue exists, they have an obligation to their customers to take care of the problem. It's simple business practice.

frozenlead

Distinguished
Did you ever take into account that your model notebook wasn't on the list because it wasn't defective? Just because your machine broke doesn't mean the entire model series is defective. Everyone in this thread keeps referring to the dv9000 series - that notebook model line is many, many years old and has several hundred models! They don't all use the same motherboard. Just because you have a model number that's remotely similar to a different notebook known for faults doesn't mean yours is faulty.

Edit: spelling.

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
to me its just not worth the risk of buying an hp which will cost £400 and I don't know for sure if it is one of the defective models or not. no other manufacturer has such a long recall list what I know is this

5 out of 8 clients who come daily for laptop repairs have hp's dv series
it got to the point where as soon as they open the door and say I have HP I tell them "is it starting with black screen?" and the answer is always "yes"
hp forums, 45% "start black sceen or no wirless turning blue"
99% of any dv series overheat, simply install speedfan on any dv series and run youtube videos and check
the gpu always over 65c to 80c

warranty and phone helpline "lets not even talk about that"

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
are you mad, normal is 40c idle and 55 load on most laptops, and it doesnt burn your hand when you put it under the laptop. this is 75c watching youtube

FeelingBetterNow

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones...

I bought a DV9417cl refurbished from Buy.com in Nov. 2007. I used it very lightly until Sep 2008, when I woke up one morning to find it would not power on - no screen, no lights except the blue ring around the charger plug. I took it to my local pc repair, and they diagnosed a dead motherboard. Since the refurbished pc came with only 90 days warranty, I figured I was screwed and put the thing in the closet and forgot about it. This morning, I was cleaning out the closet and for unknown reasons, googled DV9417cl and wound up on this thread. I followed the HP link posted by activsagi above, checked that my laptop was eligible for the service extension and called them at 1-866-671-7362. The cs rep was polite and efficient. I told her that the computer was refurbished and purchased in 11/2007, and that it had failed a year ago. Even so, she determined that it was eligible for free repair and shipping both ways and told me to expect a shipping package in about 2 working days.

So, so far, so good. My only complaint at this point is with the PC repair store where I took it. I told the manager what happened, and he claimed that although they are "HP Partners," HP never notified them of the service extension. Needless to say, I'll take my business elsewhere in the future.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread, and I wish you good outcomes with your repair issues.

frozenlead

Distinguished

55 Load? No way. Both of my roomates have Dell M1530's with 9600GT's in them - they load at 80-90. Notebook GPUs can run up above 100C without trouble (though it is very high!) My Sager which, arguably, has one of the best cooling configs to befit a notebook, loads at 66C. 75C at some load is a perfectly acceptable temperature for a mainstream notebook, which are designed to be pretty rather than cool.

G

Actually, all this seems to stem from faulty chipsets from Nvidia. HP, Dell, and some others are suing them and so are some laptop owners:

http://www.geek.com/articles/news/nvidia-sued-over-faulty-laptops-clas-action-status-requested-20090513/

To all those who posted that you can't or shouldn't have a class-action in this case, you are dead wrong. Nvidia will lose these suits...their stock is already down because of it. The problem always is, that the consumer ultimately gets screwed anyway. They will send you a $10 coupon off your next purchase and the lawyers will get $18 million. It does teach these corps about QC though and owning up to the problem when they discover it.

Btw, HP's responsibility comes from knowingly repairing their product with parts that had the same issue. Bad business practice.

G

My Compaq Presario (HP bought Compaq) is a disaster. The wireless internet does not work, and the DVD burner regularly messes up DVDs at a great cost -- both financially and ecologically. It also keeps crashing, and takes forever, despite 2 gigs of ram.

I am very interested in a class-action lawsuit, to hold them accountable. This has cost me tens of thousands of dollars in damages.

G

My Compaq Presario (HP bought Compaq) is a disaster. The wireless internet does not work, and the DVD burner regularly messes up DVDs at a great cost -- both financially and ecologically. It also keeps crashing, and takes forever, despite 2 gigs of ram.

I am very interested in a class-action lawsuit, to hold them accountable. This has cost me tens of thousands of dollars in damages.

G

Please email me your contact number at vskp1999499@yahoo.com so that I can call you and tell you how to get it repaired for the basic charges with HP. Pl do not get frustrated and I knew how you feel because I had the same issue.

HPMotherboardAction

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Organizing HP Motherboard class action lawsuit

I have decided to gather and indication of interest for a class action lawsuit against Hewlett Packard. Please email me your name, address and contact phone number if you would like to join my effort in seeking vindication for the faulty products described by HP in the following post:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1842189&lang=en

I'm not interested in making money from this, rather I just want to see the company stand behind their mistakes and provide me with what I paid $1000 for, a laptop computer that works. Any reasonable person assumes that a new PC has, under normal use, a life expectancy of 3-5 years; not 1-2 years. I am not paying $300 to have a computer fixed that I did not break. Its well documented that they made mistakes in their engineering process. This is the reason that they extended the warranty by an additional year, but what good is that if you weren't notified and given an opportunity to participate. The company has all customers phone and email address. Think about the number of emails you get from their sales department each month.

In closing, this is nothing more than a big corporation making a decision based on dollars and not sense. Situations like this are exactly what the legal system exists for.

HPMotherboardAction@yahoo.com

Best Regards

G

[I too have a failed motherboard after 14 months of warranty and I can't get anyone to speak with me from the within the United States. This sucks! I am very frustrated.

wntsaf

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Yes I am interested in joining a class action lawsuit against HP. The issue is defective formatter on Hp Laserjet printer models P3005. Just take a look on the web and see how many people have had problems. My printer crashed just out of warranty. Expensive printer; expensive replacement part. HP should not be able to get away with this; HP obviously knowingly shipped printers with known issues as evidenced by service note c01215806, however, HP refuses to acknowledge the full scope of the problem and therefore limits any resolution to most users that have had problems with the p3005 printers (formatter).

Mensaman

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

Its pretty obvious you are representing Hp as why else would you be defending them so uncandidly and without regard for the facts
If your answers where more objective I could believe you more but who ever put you up to this should have told you to not be so transparent.
Its almost comical.
My quest is why frozenlead?
:pt1cable:
:hello:

frozenlead

Distinguished

What in god's name are you talking about? The message you quoted is fact. If I worked for HP, why would I have bought a Sager?

Your quest is why? That doesn't even make sense.

Mods, please lock this thread. It's really just annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.