Anyone interested in class action suit against HP

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mensaman

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
I think the best strategy is to seek out Hp headquaters get everyone with the 'nvidia' problem to meet near headquaters in a large hired room.
Get the local press to cover the story which wouldn't be difficult to pull off.
Link it live to youtube and create facebook group and myspace
I'ts all about exposure isn't it.

If Hp stands to do nothing then thier effectivlely putting on an advertising campaign for thier company telling the world the word on the highstreet is HP are BOGUS.

So stop wasting money on that Goofy CEO of yours and get some one that can creatively use the situation as an advantage rather than disadvantage.

I am sure thier are people in HP that agrees that this CEO has got to go.
Just a few quick ideas top of my head.

If I was the CEO I would charge everyone that owned a Hp laptop £50 to extend thier laptops warranty by 30 months.
I would then create a new website saying HP-we will sort it.com or some kind of catchy slogan for website address.
Now by extending warranty by 2 1/2 years they are basically kick ass over the rest of the competition.
I would explain that this Is Nvidia's chip problem.
I would create a new team dedicated to fixing every laptop within the 3 1/2 years warranty as of course they had 1 year.
I wouldn't spend all that money on hot air use 75% of call centre people to be trained to refit laptops with new motherboards.
Some of these laptops don't need to be replaced with original board they could use a more reliable model thiers got to be a few good Pavillion models right?
If this is not the case then if they cant modify them propery firstly with new heatsinks and fans.

Effectivey Hp have a new product thier selling for 50 pounds plus they get the
'We will sort it' website which they could launch on advertising campaign

Show all the new happy customers under the 30 month warranty extension what there 50 pounds have paid for. on the HP_we_will_sort_it.com website

Under the warranty they will have to deliver it themselves or dropped of at HP 'We will sort it' headquarters.

Problem solved they have a new product to sell for 50 pounds 30 day warranty.
They have just advertised Hp as the ones who look after thier customers.

So instead of the reputation getting damaged its enhanced

I don't know that of the top of my head could have holds in it.

But I have have a question if you were the CEO how would you remedy the problem to keep company and customers happy?

Mensaman

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Mods please lock this thread ? ( Freedom of speech)
Where you one that dobbed to teacher? That was you at school right?
oh ok
My question is why frozenlead your name?
If you want to split an 'ION' thats up to you you get my point

frozenlead

Distinguished
Frozenlead is my name because that's the alias I made up for myself on the net when I was little. What's that got to do with anything?

I'm not trying to impede on someone's freedom of speech (which doesn't apply on the internet, since the internet is not a constituent of any country; however, many observe different sites' rules as things to work with, for good measure), but this thread is just a bunch of people babbling about their broken computers. There's no coordination, no evidence, no facts, and no inclination that anything is really going wrong other than a bunch of people who broke their computers. Some people are talking about printers and network cards, others notebooks. What? This thread just keeps coming back from forum pages past while one more person adds how their printer isn't working.

Mensaman

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

Not trying to impede on someones freedom of speech like you didn't ask the webmaster to cut me loose.

Well that's weak.
Also saying people are babbling about broken computers is just a cheap disinformation tactic used by alot of corporatations to discredit.

If you noticed people are reporting the same graphics card problem failure.

Also with this printer thing the printer wasn't broken thats not what he claimed was it?
He mentioned something that you can check out for yourself.

The printer cartridges still have ink left for test print but driver software states thier empty

If you want to say that is babbling that wouldn't be true would it.

As I have understood it perfectly including the graphics cards problem.
You dont seem to have respect for logic or objectivity in your statements.

The question remains....
Why are you spending so much time trying to win an arguement where your unobjective answers suggest an ulterior motive?

Also of course your answers attack and try to discredit the others.

No Coordination? Go to the following website if you doubt these claims
hplies.com

Try this website guys hplies.com

Momentum on this is gathering all the time soon things are going to happen.

frozenlead

Distinguished
People are reporting a graphics card failure. That's not any different than any other notebook. Pick a popular model off of any notebook manufacturer, and you'll find dozens of threads like this where they break. Stuff breaks. It doesn't last forever. Should I sue BF Goodrich because my tires are worn? No. If what you're saying is logical, then it is also logical that every manufacturer of every kind of product should guarantee their product for forever.

HP covered the computers for an extra year, providing free repairs for anyone who wanted one, even when they didn't have to. They replaced the damaged parts with new ones, but they can't prevent the failure of the replacements. No one can. Notebooks are not meant to last forever. It's a harsh life for them. Look to different markets for different products concerning defects and warranties - they all do the very same thing HP did right here; replace the repair with new parts with faith the user will replace the antiquated item soon. If I buy these aged HP machines off Ebay and the motherboard dies the next day, should I call up HP and expect a new motherboard for free, just because a long time ago, HP said the boards were defective? No.

If your car turns out to have a defective part, and it's an end-of-life machine, you get a recall notice (but only because the government mandates it; your car breaking can kill you, whereas your computer breaking (in 99% of cases) will not) and they replace the malfunctioning part with a new one, even though the new part will eventually break again. It's not something they can prevent.
Ever had any one of your friends with a dead iPod/phone/portable anything battery? I've had tons of them. Can the users or the manufacturers do anything about it? No. Batteries wear out. Nothing lasts forever. With the (dare I say) logic you say this thread has, we should all ban together and sue rechargeable battery companies because they don't last forever. In every case where your battery wears out, what do you do? Replace your iPod/phone/portable device with a new one.

Oh yes, hplies.com exists and that makes the claims true. A website exists that says aliens came down and gave us technology, and I see another now and then about the government destroying two towers because they wanted oil. Those have got to be true, too. Where's the logic in that?

The only argument I'm trying to win is this:
Stuff breaks. Manufacturers guarantee their stuff to work for a specific amount of time. If the stuff turns out defective, they (might) extend that guarantee to be nice, but they can't hold it out for forever, because, in the end, the stuff will still break. People should not sue HP simply because HP cannot break a law of nature and make their notebooks last forever. The only "ulterior motive" I have is to break the common stupidity of mankind. Wouldn't it be nice if people didn't sue one another because their shoes were scuffed?

kjharrison

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Look, I have two dv series HP laptops with the exact same problem. Both are completly dead and that's over $3,000.00 I'm out.

Stuff breaks but come on! I have laptops from 10 years ago that still work fine, just to slow.

It's a manufacturer problem and they hve to deal with it or go belly up and let a decent Company make Billions in profit each year.

frozenlead

Distinguished

You realize the HP dv series encompasses hundreds of notebook models, right? They've been using that naming scheme for years now. No one seems to understand this. Just because your notebook has "dv" in front of its model doesn't mean it's under this defect. Just because your notebook experiences a typical failure that most notebooks from every manufacturer experience doesn't mean they're defective.

I own a Pontiac Grand Prix. They've been making those for several generations. If mine breaks, and my buddy's breaks too, does that mean the lot of them are bad? No. The ones made in 2008 are a completely different car than the ones made in 1998. If you want to even attempt to prove your computers are defective, you have to be more specific than "my HP dv series stopped working, must be the same problem".

G

I am more than interested in taking on HP, (granddprize@yahoo.com.)

ClatterMan

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009

The Grand Prix analogy might be more accurate than you realize. In addition to a now-useless HP Pavillion 9500, I also own a Ford F-250 6.0 Powerstroke. Both have serious design flaws that were well-hidden by their manufacturers for years. Both apparently instructed their service groups to apply "band-aid" fixes to hide the design flaws. We have discussed the HP BIOS update that runs the cooling fans more often, to delay the inevitable NVIDIA chip failure that kills motherboards; now understand that Ford instructed an involuntary reflash of their diesel's computer to lower combustion pressures, delaying the moment when their head haskets would blow, stranding their vehicles, and hopefully making this happen only after warrenty protection expired.

Both manufacturers have class-action lawsuits pending. More importantly, both have utterly forfeited any possibility of retaining me as a loyal customer. I am rightly offended by how both have treated myself and thousands of other paying customers, and would be pleased to see them both fail. (The motherboard damage was caused by spilled coke, The fact that there was a recall on the hinges does not mean that you didn't cause the damage, This reflash is for drivability that you never complained about, We don't care if you own this vehicle or not, We are overriding your truck's computer, You did not have to authorize us to do it, We will not return it to factory settings,etc.) I will use a significant fraction of my energy to ensure my colleagues and associates know about these issues, and cost these manufacturers sales into the future. I object to underhanded "fixes" with dishonest pretexts; like most people, I do not enjoy being lied to by anybody, let alone my vendors.

If your Pontiac lasted 37 months following a 36 month warrenty, you would have the right to sue, IMHO. This is especially true if something as major as a crankshaft broke. Such an event is not a 10-minute fix, but rather evidence of inferior engineering. I would agree with you if I learned that you attached a supercharger and upgraded fueling system, and exceeded the factory redline continuously until the connecting rods flew out of the block. Under those circumstances, a crankshaft might well fail. But your buddy would have had to abuse his machine in a similar fashion. On the other hand, if you only commuted to work, and kept an eye on the oil level, yet the crankshaft broke for no obvious reason just after warrenty expiration, I think you should sue.

My HP began showing hinge issues within a year of purchase. But it was never dropped or abused. I needed it for work, so I lived with the issue until it began showing display problems. The battery life was never as promised! It always ran hot, so I religously elevated it off of its table to ensure airflow through the cooling system. But it ultimately failed anyway. Now it needs a mother board, based upon the postings of >100 other owners. There is obviously a design flaw at the root of this; NVIDIA already agreed to pay HP and other customers for damages. As I am the end user, I want my machine to work as intended and advertised, not as the time bomb that was delivered. Why is this difficult to understand?

Ford's diesel motor was built by Navistar; there were serious lawsuits over warrenty claims. Now Ford builds their own diesel motors- the next design (following the current 6.4L) is an all-Ford unit similar in layout to the GM 4.5L Duramax. I bet HP will change chip makers as well. But both firms need to understand that to betray a paying customer is to gain a vocal enemy at a time of recession.

frozenlead

Distinguished
The Nvidia chip issue is not HP's fault. HP should not be sued for that reason.

Screen hinges and dead GPUs are not the point of this thread - the motherboard dying is. If you spilled coke on your computer, you definitely have no room to sue. That's like crashing your car and suing the company because you crashed it.

The things you discussed that were wrong with your computer cannot be characterized as defects, because they're far too much a function of the computer's use. Battery life estimates are made with expert-tuned notebooks that know how to get every ounce of juice out - the same with the MPG ratings on cars. That's marketing. The screen hinge becoming loose is a function of how often you use it - not everyone does the same with theirs. The notebook being hot is also a function of how you use your machine - excessive dust without cleaning and high-computational sessions with your machine can make it warm up pretty quick. HP and all engineering companies have to make concessions that their users will treat their machines optimally, even though they rarely do. There's no way to factor in all of the abuse users can give their machines. In essence, the problems you experienced with your computer are not HP's fault, and also unrelated to the original point of this thread, which many of the posters in it do not understand. Machines are only rated to be treated in certain fashions for so long, but all of them are, in the end, time bombs. The problem is the user generally doesn't know what these ratings are and how to optimally deliver on them.

G

Please re-read the thread. The "Coke Spilling MB contamination" excuse was one that posters on this thread have accused HP customer service of fabricating. I believe the posters, as my experiences with customer service have been equally demeaning and worthless. It is a foolish tactic to accuse a formerly loyal customer of gross negligence without evidence. This is especially true when the items in question have well-known defects. My laptop has never seen a soft drink, let alone become bathed in it. But it failed anyway. I believe it was poor engineering.

My laptop was never operated under harsh conditions. It was never dropped. It was always operated at RT, in the dry air of the inside of an office or airport. It failed regardless, after 2.5 years of use under generally-accepted "normal" conditions. It is not a quality piece, and for the lies and insults I have been subjected to when attempting repair this obviously defective merchandise, I feel HP deserve to be sued.

cavalli99

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
I am a very pissed and dissatisfied customer we had problems with thed wireless a couple of months after the warranty expired. Called bestbuy they gave us HP 's number. HP told us to send it in. We did, they called back and said it was not under warranty after they told us that it was a known problem that it would be fixed. They told us that they could fix it for $300 we told them no. They sent it back. Then we went on thier website and researched thier website. They had a recall for the wireless problem. We called them and they said to send it back and it would definitely be fixed with no problems. They sent us the box and we sent it back. They called us again and said that it was the motherboard and the wireless had to be fixed. They gave us two prices one was $250 for the motherboard and now the wireless was around 200. Even though we told them about the recall it did not matter. I asked to speak to a manager and was told that the person I was talking to was one. I was told the wireless would be fixed. I recieved the computer it was worse. i called and was told they would send another box to send it back and they would fix the wirelss. Sent it back and they called and said it would not be fixed cause coke was found all over the computer. Now that Im asking more questions now all of a sudden they are saying it will not be fix because of this problem. I will not accept this lie. I was never told anything about any coke. I was promised that thew problem would be taken care of. I have 2 oter computers that best buy will do something about.

Hi -

Im in a similar situation as you are ! Wifi giving me trouble since past couple months , not detecting any networks, even when the wifi switch is activated i see the same orange light, some days its ok others not. Has definitely worsened with time - i am taking them to court . Where are you based?

My email address is cavalli27@gmail.com.

Feel free to get in touch-

thanks.

G

I would like to be contacted about a class action lawsuit. My laptop is the TX1000z and not listed but has the same NVIDIA issue. I purchased two extended warranties for my laptop and had the motherboard replaced in July of 2008 for this exact same problem. First the WLAN disappears, will not charge, will not wake up from sleep mode, turns itself off randomly, has to be restarted multiple times, lights come on but screen is black, and will not power on with on battery power sometimes. I called a rep, I did online chat, and I called a rep again. They want me to purchase another warranty before they will discuss fixing the problem. I have already paid once to have this exact SAME problem fixed. This cost continues to rise on my $1300 laptop with two $140 warrantys. It is fraud. They know the laptop has a hardware problem and now I have a chat conversation insisting that it is software and that rebooting the system would work. I called again yesterday and after an incomprehensible conversation called back and asked to be contacted by a case manager. After reading blogs for the last 3 days I expect absolutely nothing to come of my conversations but more lies, denial and frustration. I started looking for a Dell this morning. I still want a part of any group suit because this computer in essence cost me$740 a year. I could have purchase four laptops for the price of maintaining this one and it was not ignorance on my part I purchased this after endless reading and when the laptop was too new to have all these issues.

o.e.s@sbcglobal.net

Thanks and I look forward to receiving information

dwellman

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
Is this thread for real? Look, you bought an HP. . chalk it up to "stupid tax".

. . .

I'm a horrible, horrible person. I know.

*hugs his ThinkPad*

sushiserv

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Heh, HP is more bang for your buck though. It isnt the FACT it was an HP that was the problem. It was the nVIDIA graphics chips. Still, other brands are quite expensive, however, I won't be making hte mistake of buying another HP. Ill throw my $ away on a ThinkPaq. At least it will be working 11 years from now like my friends old ThinkPad lol.

I have actually filed a case with small claims court against HP for selling me a lemon laptop. If I had known the laptop was going to die after 2 years, I would never had bought it.

I own a Compaq F500 (which was recalled!) which uses the same motherboard as teh F700 and the G6000 (which were not recalled!).

SMH HP. I was customer since I was 10. I am 18 now - I build my own computers now... but still. Y'all lose yerselves a customer.

zoebrianne

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

I am an unhappy consumer who did NOT miss the deadline, barely caught the extended warranty before it ended when my motherboard went out. However, i would never have known about it if i hadn't googled it. HP did not notify me that there could have been potential problems they were well aware of, even though my product was registered. I almost paid full price to have the motherboard replaced or bought a new machine altogether.

Then to top it off the damned thing crashed again, not even 4 months later. It was, however conveniently over 90 days after the repair so of course they wont do *** about it. Not only that, but the tech support guy even told me over the phone that if he were me, he wouldnt pay to have it fixed again because it will probably just break again. Then he tried to sell me a new f'n HP computer. Wow, all i have to say is... wow.

Way to stand behind your products, HP. And lets hear a round of applause for that top notch customer service.

sushiserv

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009

Errm, the NOTEBOOK wasn't faulty. Before you reply like an HP employee, do your research. The GPU was faulty.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZB6kxxgnOQ Jen-hsun Huang even admits it in this video, however he says the percentage is very small. This actually led to nVIDIA being sued by their shareholders b/c they ended up losing alot of $ when the nVIDIA stock TANKED during the July 2, 2008 SEC filing.

So now you have 5 sets of annoyed motherf*cks - the CONSUMER (both notebook and desktop!), the OEMs, the NUFI (nVIDIA's insurance company) and nVIDIA and the nVIDIA shareholders.

AMD and their shareholders are just jumping around the room in joy though.

First > the consumer because they have a DOORSTOP or a big ass expensive CHAIR. Like me. But I am going to court. Some desktop GPU were also affected.

Second > the OEMs who ahve to fix all this - except this was rectified because there were 2x$200M payouts to these guys. Sony for example offers a 4 year warranty for any model of computer with an nVIDIA GPU that was determined to be defective. Not a model of laptop - if it has an nVIDIA GPU that is defective and the laptop fails, they give you a form to fill out and end of plot as long as you bought the laptop with in FOUR, count it, FOUR years. That is MORE than enough tiem to catch this defect.

Third > NUFI didn't pay out nVIDIA because they were also led astray by the manufacte. nVIDIA never told htem anything was wrong with hte chips until a year later - a bill just showed up and NUFI did not want to pay becaue nVIDIA failed to provide them with simple evidence.

You know how if you kill yourself, the insurance company won't pay out to your family - it is the same thing here. Some engineer was told to shut his goddamn mouth and pass off the faulty chips. So, nVIDIA was basically digging its own grave.

Fourth > nVIDIA. Anyone burned by this - and there are a lot of them who don't even know - will probably not buy another nVIDIA brand item again. I for one am not ever. I built a new computer - AMD/ATI baby. nVIDIA can kiss my grits.

Fifth > the nVIDIA shareholders who lost a substantial amount of money. See it like this: nVIDIA says OMG WE ARE WINNING!!!!!1!!!1!eleventy-one for a couple of quarters. Then suddenly, nVIDIA says UM... we haz a problem :( our chips are defective. Massive stock devaluation. People lose money because the higher-ups failed to tell them this > they make bad chips that aren't worth ***.

Now why sue the OEM? The OEM failed to notify its consumers about this (hell there was battery recall on my *** and I suppose I would have never heard about it until it took out my hand - ain't that some ***), and hte OEM was paid to fix this problem. The OEMs (namely Dell and HP) released a BIOS update to keep the fans running constantly AND I CAN ATTEST TO THIS! The fan is supposed to go WHOOSH and then whoo. But the fan goes WHOOOOOOOS(shutdown.exe -f)oosh. Feel me so far? As you can already guess, this was to keep the item alive until the additional warranty period was over so the OEMs would not have to use the money they got to fix these things on the consumer but put it in their pockets.

So the moral of this story is - if you weren't a Sony/Apple customer with this defect - tough. Small claims, get your cash back and return the laptop to them after getting your data off. They can keep that worthless piece of *** said I get my money back.

Status
Not open for further replies.