Apple Faces Class-action Suit Over Defective PowerBook Memory Slots

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Of all the audacity! Suing the coolest company in the universe???? Someone better give her some koolaid.

squiZZ

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Apple certified proprietary hardware not compatible or even working on their own setups. That somehow makes the top of the "Epic Fail News of The Day" list.

brianbed

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2008
Technically, a warranty covers manufacturing defects such as this. They did extend the warranty of customers. So, legally they did everything they were obligated to do, even if they did not communicate the extension.

This is not to be confused with a recall situation, where a product poses a potential safety hazard... like exploding Sony batteries (Yeah, Apple sux! HeHe!).

I know we all HATE Apple here at Tom's, but seriously, these people had their laptop for a minimum of 3 years with a warranty to fix the issue. Personally, if I do not upgrade the memory in a "laptop" within the first two, it is never going to happen. Consumers who chose not to contact Apple with issues... well.. meet Darwin (not the Apple OS).

Face the fact, Mr. Gomelsky is either stupid, a scammer, or both. Why should Apple make him rich?... When they could make you rich for hating Apple?

G

@brianbed

Read the article please. There are defective laptops outside the serial number range that apple admitted. Apple also did not notify customers who purchased their laptops. Hardly anyone upgrades memory in the first few years they have their laptop. It's much more common to see a 4 year old laptop receiving more RAM than one fresh off the line. brianbed is either a fanboi, illiterate, or both.

G

Do u even know what you're talking about? get ur facts straight b4 u speak.

Apple sells nothing but rip-offs. period.

I find it funny everytime these apple losers whine. thats what you all get bitoochhhhhhh!

G

I have one of these 15" Powerbooks. I bought new ram and it worked for a few months, and then started crashing the computer, and eventually the slot just died. So I look up and Apple admitted it was a manufacturing fault, but the "warranty extension" (but not for my serial number) had just run out.

So, if Apple admitted they had a problem and fixed some peoples', I'd be happy if they fixed mine too. Apple wanted to charge me $500 for a new mother-board, but I could get it fixed for $300 elsewhere. I wonder which they will pay if they lose?

bounty

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Sorry, but Apple is chronic when it comes to manufacturing defects. I've had 2 iBooks from them with mobo defects, both were not fixed by apple. One, because I had parted out the laptop before they admitted the problem. The second because the cheap a$$ plastic around the nic had a small crack, which obviously means user damaged the video card. Apple is worse than eMachines and people think they're superior quality... it's funny.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]lithium451[/nom]Of all the audacity! Suing the coolest company in the universe???? Someone better give her some koolaid.[/citation]

Lol I hope you are joking. The only reason why Apple is still in business is because of idiots like you. Almost every thing apples makes, there is a better product that is cheaper out there.

Also apples just recently sued a college in Canada. Now this is what? The 4th lawsuit put against apple since then? What goes around comes around Apple.

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
having worked tech support for these useless machines, i can say that at least 1/5 powerbook/ibook users that i dealt with had this memory problem, apple's response to this was "oh well the memory is not 'apple certified'" aka please buy the same mem from apple store for 5x the price

some powerbooks shipped with 1gb (2x512mb) and now were reporting only 512mb, lol and apple "tier 2" morons had the same "well not apple certified" response

and once some guy had his powerbook repaired out of warranty (it cost him like 300 bucks) for this problem, and all they did was take out the "defective" memory, even though it was the original memory that shipped with the system and sent the unit back to him along with the memory in a plastic bag

crap hardware from a crap company

G

I think the koolaid comment was someone being sarcastic. 8) Not a apple-fanboi.

G

Hello I'm a PC, you're a mac.

PC: oh dang these vista problems. Well at least the PC is running, just some annoyances.

Mac: oh dang these hardware problems. ~crash~

Jobs: $1 for hardware problems, $100,000 for ad campaign, $1 for hardware problems, $100,000 for ad campaign...

How ironic...

Status
Not open for further replies.