Apple headphones mic not working on PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

adlerbr

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014
The mic on my apple standard headphones (also tried with Beats Studio integrated mic) doesn't work on the pc I built. I bought a 2 male to 1 female audio jack, and when i make one of the inputs mic and the other headphone, only one of the sides outputs sound and the mic still doesn't work. It sounds staticky and my friend thinks it sounds like a fan inside my computer. I'm using the realtek audio driver. I was wondering if I forgot to plug in a certain cable inside the computer or if its possibly a faulty motherboard? My specs are Motherboard: Z87X-UDH3, intel i5 3750k, and Nvidia GTX 760. I can provide more specs/information if needed. I've tried re-installing Realtek, making the headphone labeled "line-in" instead of "microphone", etc. but nothing seems to work. The sound works in my headphones but not the integrated mic.
Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

likely you either have the wrong type of splitter or the cable you have is junk. that would be my first thought at least.

what you need is a 4pole female 3.5mm to 2x 3 pole 3.5mm male splitter.

if you bought a "3pole female to 2x 3pole male" splitter that would not work at all and would explain the issues. the female end needs to be 4pole (the wiring is different.

adlerbr

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

I'm pretty sure i have the right cable, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008OB2NHA/ref=cfb_at_prodpg. It seems to be made specifically for this. I don't think its junk because the sound output still works.

that cable *should* work but that doesnt mean that its not wired wrong/bad either.

have you tried using the inputs on the back of your pc not the front panel?

be sure to reinstall your drivers and leave things set at default (so that we do not need to worry about whatever settings you changed...)

adlerbr

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

Yes I have.
Do i need to reinstall any drivers other than the realtek audio one? And when i plug it in to the back it asks me which cable is what input/output, I assume thats not changing the defaults.

Also letting you know I want the mic primarily for Skype. And should I be using line in or microphone for the headset. And even if the mic works it still means one side of my headset won't output sound.

adlerbr

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

Ok got it. I also noticed that the side which the volumes go out on is not the side with the microphone on the headphones. I would assume that that means that the side where the sound goes out on is trying to find the microphone, which is on the other side. That would lead me to guess that accidentally swapped the sides on the cable, but when i switch them around. I can hear nothing and the mic still doesn't work. Plus, its still not fixing the problem of only 1 side getting sound.

What I want is both headphones to play sound, AND the mic to work. Is that not possible. Is there another cable you would recommend trying?

if only one side of your "headphones" works and the mic doesnt work then that makes me think that perhaps they have the wires swapped (the mic going to the headphone and the one headphone going to the mic) which would explain the issues.

plug your headphones in without the adapter.. do you get sound on both ears?

i would say try a different adapter cable... if you can buy it at a local store so you can return it if it doesnt work.

adlerbr

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

Both headphones work when i plug it in to the headphone section. Do you have any ideas for a cable? I spent like a half hour to find the one i have. Thank you for the help you've given me.

do you have any local electronics stores you could buy one at? in the usa any walmart, bestbuy or similar store should have one.

honestly i would be "picking out of a hat" in terms of picking one for you since quality can be hit or miss for no-name brands. this one though http://www.amazon.com/EZOPower-Headset-Adapter-Smartphone-smartphone/dp/B0046FMRGA/ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&qid=1410128579&sr=8-35&keywords=3.5mm+headset+adapter gets better reviews by more people so might be correct but there is no way for me to guarantee it.

just search amazon for "3.5mm headset adapter" and look for one with two 3.5mm male plugs and one female... most of those should work although some have multiple negative reviews for issues like yours where they dont work. cheap cables often have serious quality control issues... so buy one with 4 or 5 star ratings bought by lots of people such s the one i listed above perhaps.

adlerbr

Estimable
Sep 7, 2014

My friend has an adapter that works, so I'm going to borrow it tomorrow. If it works I'll just try to get a working adapter from best buy or someplace else. If it doesn't work, I'm back to square 1 and its a software/motherboard issue. Either way, thank you for taking time out of your day to help me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.