Apple Investigates iOS 4 Bogging Down iPhone 3G

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jfpannone

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
I have a 3GS and it is noticeably slower. Battery life has decreased as well. I wiped my device thinking i needed to free up space, but this had no positive effect. Issue remains.

I don't doubt Jobs' shifty tactics. Does anyone remember what Jobs said in regards to signal strength bars after the death grip bar drop stuff?..."we messed up and were a little to liberal with our algorithm"... WHAT!!??! how can you be "a little to liberal" with an algorithm?? you intentionally falsified signal strength information to make more money! and then he goes on to say we only want to make our customers happy...total BS. I love apple, but lately they act like Manny Ramirez; clueless in left field.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
I have a 3GS. Its true that iOS 4 made it a little less stable -- sometimes running like 6 apps at once makes programs force quit.

Now its about as reliable as Windows 7.

jermar

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
Apple really owed it to 3g customers to have tested speed, and battery life before updating to 40s and put out a warnaing so we knew not to do this. It would have been easy to test and do, but Apple should now be really condemnded and actualkly penalized by either lawsuits or something if not fixed in a very short time since it's already been about a month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brett1042002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
I am a current 3G owner. The performance nose-dived after I went to iOS4. Screen transitioning lags horribly. Apps lag horribly. Random hang-ups. Heck, even texting lags now. It was smooth with OS 3.1. Screw going to a iPhone 4. After my contract is up, I am done with iPhone/ATT. Droid X looks very appealing now.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Even my 3GS is slower. Typing on it is a pain in the ass now. My friends don't notice it (they aren't as sensitive to response times as I am), but it's infuriating to have to wait for the phone to catch up when I'm typing out a text.

G

Yes, I have this problem, my texting is very sluggish, it hangs up when sending text, simply typing on it is horrible. I am thinking of trying to downgrade back to a lower OS.

justinxtreme

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008
My 3GS isn't slow at all unlike you people are saying. But my iPhone 3G is slow as f!!!! Seriously the 3GS has 200MHz more speed than the 3G and just double the RAM it's kind of wierd how that much makes so much difference.... My 3GS performs as snappy as my iPhone 4. Meanwhile the 3G it's not even close.

G

i can top that. when I press the home button to wake my 3G phone it only works maybe 25% of the time. after installing iOS 4, I now have to press the home button and the power button simultaneously to get the damn screen to turn on.
regardless, i'm over my iphone phase anyway. call me crazy, but i'm switching to wp7 when it releases in october. can't wait to have all new things to bitch about!

G

If all of you non-sheep have nothing to add to the conversation accept sarcasm, why not read something with subject matter that you enjoy. Most or all of you probably don't scrapbook or quilt, and you probably don't go to the scrapbook sites and bash on them. For those of who have real issues and actually need help, I suggest that you talk to Apple. They will help you. Without fail they will do all that they can to make you happy. It would be refreshing to go to a blog or article that hasn't been overrun by sarcastic DB's making stupid comments.

G

lol @ justinxtreme

let me get this right, u got a 3G, 3GS and 4 and you still use them all.... you got like 3 different plans or you like switching SIM card on a regular interval

bi@ch

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
I was thinking about getting a group of Apple fanboys and throwing my dear old 3G to the sea and watch them running after it.

No more Apples for me, ever.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]justinxtreme[/nom]My 3GS isn't slow at all unlike you people are saying. But my iPhone 3G is slow as f!!!! Seriously the 3GS has 200MHz more speed than the 3G and just double the RAM it's kind of wierd how that much makes so much difference.... My 3GS performs as snappy as my iPhone 4. Meanwhile the 3G it's not even close.[/citation]

So, you admit to having a 3G, 3GS and 4G. Any others to add to the list? :p

G

I too am experiencing extremely slow speed on my iPhone 3G 16GB after the iOS4 update. It's intermittent, but it usually happens once or more daily. Yesterday it was so slow I couldn't open up my text messages, it kept closing and going back to the home screen. I was super aggravated to say the least.

G

My IPhone 3G with IOS 4, many a times it freezes, hangs for a while, very slow in responding and many more similar issues. I guess it changed everything like it improves your patience or it will force you to buy new phone.

Freakykiwi

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
I am in the same boat and in light of the terrible performance am surprised that Apple included support for the 3G with IOS4.
Surely they should have know this from internal testing and blocked or at least issued a warning.

However I wouldn't expect any other device to be able to run the current version OS two years after launch but agree that this version doesn't add anything to justify the hit.

I did seriously consider moving to an android device but have read too many criticisms of the crapware available for it. The tightly controlled appstore solution has its issues but it is not expensive to become a developer and most apps are very cheap or free. I would have also considered Winmo7 if it was avaialble.

The iPhone4 finally released in New Zealand today - I've ordered one online and should have it in a day or two. I'll be downgrading my 3G back to OS3 to give to my son.

Status
Not open for further replies.