Apple Investigates iOS 4 Bogging Down iPhone 3G

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Yaeh. Apple is looking.
Then it will hold a press conference and say: Well, dear idiot customers, you have been holding the iCrap 3G for 2(too) long years and we really didn't find any logic in our research why you should be holding it any more and not buying iCrap 4. Upgrade you fools!
Customers: All hail Steve. March to the AT&T counters! :D

davebenoist

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
This is really getting out of hand. There shouldn't be a reason to overload the RAM on each process on the 3G when it doesn't have that much RAM to devote to each process. I see it as an blatant oversight by Apple to promote their iphone 4. This is the largest beef I have with Apple as they don't look back at the millions who invested in their iphone 3G and they only focus on the newest toy. Apple produces quality products but this is where I feel Microsoft has a competitive advantage. I've never purchased a Microsoft product that I was worried about what updates would affect the device and whether or not I should research the latest OS before installing it. Apple should conduct extensive research on their most popular devices prior to releasing an updated OS with too many faults. I've only had my device upgraded to ios4 for 2 weeks and I'm already noticing a HUGE performance decline. I thought it was my RAM taking a dump, but turns out too many people are having the same issues.

Kef

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
The new OS version has made what was a very good device utterly frustrating.

Regulalry forcing a reboot seems to clear out the cache and speed up some of the bahaviour, however for some reason on mide the ipod function is unbelievably laggy - it can take minutes (rather than seconds) to start the ipod playing from a double click of the home button to sound actually coming out of the headphones, lpus for the first minute of so the sound stutters like a skteched CD.

Please please Apple fix this and give me back the product I was used to (unfortunatley a hard drive failue seems to make the downgrade route an non starter for me)

Ken F (Glasgow)

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
My 3G doesn't seem to be affected. Not sure what feature triggers it, but works fine for now. (previous OS had those occasional long hesitation moments too, so nothing really different) Have not noticed the overheating either. That's even if my other phone (iPhone4) really is MUCH faster.

nologo

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
i found this problem..but to simply put it..im not a dumb ass..
i did a factory reset and resync'd my data and now my old iphone 3G is alot faster than pre os4.0.

blacwolf

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
I can't say this works for all, as I haven't talked to other 3G owners about it. But my 3G was having major slowness issues with iOS 4.0 as reported above. I upgraded to 4.1 three days ago and now it is performing just as snappy and smooth as it did with iOS 3.

G

Yes, and I had a new iPod Touch but it was the 8GB one so it had a slower still CPU. When it upgraded to IOS4 it was so slow and even some games stuttered. I ended up sending it back for a refund. Does Apple even test their upgrades on older hardware? Or is this just their way of making you become disgusted and buy newer hardware?

G

I am absolutely in love with my EVO 4g and also Sprint still has unlimited data to boot!!!

gnice3d

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
I'd been running jailbroken firmware for the last 18 months and decided to to take a look at a stock build of the new OS... It's slow as all hell.

I mistakenly assumed that I would see a huge performance increase with all the soft-mods and background stuff I had setup on the previous OS load but it's the exact opposite.

I also have the Alpine Ai-net interface in my vehicle which ties my iPod share into the head unit and that is almost NON-functional now... Trying to browse for music used to be quick and responsive but now it's like watching two elderly ******* try top have sex.

Fortunately, I am a techy/admin type and and should be able to roll back the firmware to what it was but I feel bad for the people who are stuck eating the horse **** that Apple feeds them.

Avoid the upgrade with a 3G.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]irh_1974[/nom]Except Toyota actually did a recall for the defective productsThey didn't say they were "driving it wrong"Or refuse to fix the problem and offer a free bumper, y'know, in case they crashed...[/citation]
Umm they accused the drivers of 'driver error' and waited until the feds were practically breathing down their throats before admitting there may be an engineering flaw...

pmac1328

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
[citation][nom]nologo[/nom]i found this problem..but to simply put it..im not a dumb ass..i did a factory reset and resync'd my data and now my old iphone 3G is alot faster than pre os4.0.[/citation]

Ahh... so the millions of people who bought an iphone 3G should be forced to do a factory reset and resync just because Apple screwed up an update. That's an awesome solution. Apple, take notes... just place the burden on the consumer to fix your issues...

wait...

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Ah. Beautifully predictable. Overnight circle jerk among Apple haters and the comments section blows up to 3 pages in length. Don't you guys get tired of grabbing each others dicks and trolling the news articles bashing Apple? Do you seriously not see how pathetic that is?

G

I noticed this immediately and it seems to have gotten worse with 4.0.1

pmac1328

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Ah. Beautifully predictable. Overnight circle jerk among Apple haters and the comments section blows up to 3 pages in length. Don't you guys get tired of grabbing each others dicks and trolling the news articles bashing Apple? Do you seriously not see how pathetic that is?[/citation]

People wouldn't bash Apple nearly as much if they'd act like a respectable company and do the right thing. They release a poorly designed iPhone 4 that first they blame the end users for "holding it wrong"... then they say "OH! It's just this crazy bar algorithm!!"... then they finally admit the flaw and give out a free case? That's wonderful for whoever actually wants a case on their phone, but i would imagine 99.9% of iPhone 4 users would much rather have it FIXED, not artificially altered.

Fast forward to OS4 that "unintentionally" breaks older generation iPhones. Hmm...

For a company that touts 'quality of product' as much as they do, they dropped the ball BIG TIME with these latest two products. The only thing that's "Pathetic" is someone who will defend the actions of a company that's screwing their customers. A majority of iPhone users may be content, but when you have potentially millions of community members up in arms over OBVIOUS flaws, appropriate and effective action needs to be taken. You, despite being happy, should demand more from a company that is letting down the community of which you're a part.

G

FINALLY! My iphone 3G has been super slow ever since I updated...

Besides I don't get a new phone for quite some time....

samely

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Umm they accused the drivers of 'driver error' and waited until the feds were practically breathing down their throats before admitting there may be an engineering flaw...[/citation]
From the NHTSA : "In spite of our investigations, we have not actually been able yet to find a defect" with Toyota's electronic throttle control said NHTSA associate administrator for enforcement, Daniel Smith.

G

iOS4 slowing down the iphone 3G? No doubt there's an app for that!

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
[citation][nom]irh_1974[/nom]Except Toyota actually did a recall for the defective productsThey didn't say they were "driving it wrong"Or refuse to fix the problem and offer a free bumper, y'know, in case they crashed...[/citation]

I see what you did thar.

crossbow82

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
"My 3G is slow at F*** now!!"
"You can magically make your problems go away by throwing it at the Statue of Limitations"
*crack!*
"I'M FREE!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.