Apple Investigates iOS 4 Bogging Down iPhone 3G

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am having the problem too. Slow as you know what! I have to keep rebooting to get some speed out of it. Why do they release stuff that is clearly not ready? Is this Apples version of Windows Vista?

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[citation][nom]frownyface[/nom]I also have a 3g with the 4.0 OS and I've noticed a dramatic increase in lag when opening program and typing. I hope there's a fix soon otherwise I'll have to look into downgrading the OS.[/citation]

This temporary "change" does indeed help 3G iPhone performance. Not really a fix, but a work around at least.

I'm not bashing Apple at all, I have 3 Apple computers and 2 PCs at home. But their Mobile devices are a little to fragile and problematic. From what I've read of other brands it's the a similar story. Soooo, what this tells me is that no one really can produce a solid, fast, reliable, and durable mobile device ... well, not in the $200-$300 range anyway. Hence I wait for whatever brand phone and service to step up to plate and hit a home run ... so far, that just hasn't happened.

coolcash1777

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
Turn off Spotlight on the 3G by going to Settings --> General -> Home Button --> spotlight search. Then uncheck all the items. Worked for me and it made it just as fast as the 3.0 firmware.

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
I sincerely hope there will be a fix soon, but I intend to try and reset the OS to 3.1 on my mothers iPhone. I hadn't updated mine because I jailbreaked it a long time ago, but it's rather frustrating for my mother; it is ridiculously slow now. I wish Apple would care a bit more about their consumers, I sincerely doubt our next smart phones will be Apple products. Let alone AT$T

speedemon

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]it has 128 meg!!! how much do you need?? the ps3 only has 256 meg!the ds made do with FOUR meg!further more, it worked fine BEFORE, why should an UPDATE make it WORSE!?conspiracy theory or not: it has worked with many apple bollards, proudly stating how they are upgrading to the iphone 4 because their 3G was made slow by the last update!you have to remember, the update didn't even add any features to the 3G! no multitasking! not even backgrounds!! just folders! it is completely unacceptable.[/citation]

^ This.. makes the most sense

G

This will help... Settings--> General--> Home Button--> Spotlight Search - disable all options

godwhomismike

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I'm screwed!!! 3G is almost unusably slow. The iPod feature is horribly slow to load, stutters songs, long delays when I want to raise or lower volume, and also crashes a lot when playing music.

Text message screen takes anywhere from 30 seconds to a minute to load now. The camera is nightmarishly slow - if I see something I want to take a photo of - I usually missed it because it took 2+ minutes for the camera to load (if it doesn't crash either).

I couldn't afford the 2 year warranty when I bought this phone in Feb 2009, and can't really afford a new phone at this time either. I could see if I could drop my text messages down to 250 (from 1500) since I can't really send them anymore.

It's a shame. I wish I had bought a battery for my last phone I had, and waited until June for the Palm Pre I had wanted. Instead, when the battery failed (bloated and could no longer hold any charge), I went out and bought the iPhone 3G.

I don't care how great the features on the iPhone 4 are. I am so disappointed that Apple bricked my phone as much as they could get away legally (trying to force 3G owners' hands to have to set up to the iPhone 4), that I refuse to purchase another iPhone. I lost all my trust in Apple.

Luckily, it can still make calls. It is a disaster now with iOS4, but I think there is just enough working on the phone to get me by for another few months. I can't afford a new phone now, and came into this phone thinking it would last me at least 2 years. I guess I was wrong, but maybe I could make it close to the two year mark before being forced to upgrade to another phone. It's hard when you need to make a quick call, and it takes minutes to get a call out.

godwhomismike

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
[citation][nom]shucksiwin[/nom]This will help... Settings--> General--> Home Button--> Spotlight Search - disable all options[/citation]

Thanks. This seemed to help a bit.

G

YES, ever since iOS 4 my 3G is sluggish and frustrating. After what apple has pulled with software overstating the signal bars i believe they new the 3G would not work properly with the 3G.

G

Excellent ! I'm not the only one who noticed my 3G phone was running like crap after OS 4, I thought i was taking crazy pills or my phone was just getting old. its to the point where sometimes I cant even answer a call since it's so slow. And gee what do u know that the 3G is having the problems even though we cant multitask, I smell Apple trying to get us to upgrade.

dokiardo

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
Truth of the matter is with all these problems, none of them are put on the main news sites enough. Only techies will really run into this kind of info enough to see through all the apple BS. I hate to say it but ignorance is the reason apply is selling so many devices.

G

I have an Iphone 3G and i updated to the iOS4, the phone freeze for one or two minutes, nothing works, home button, power button, touchscreen. It happens randomly but many times a day. Good oportunity to downgrade and jailbreak!

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
I think Apple is about to find out that EULAs for consumer devices can't say "this device is not warranted to be suitable for any purpose" like software does... even that computer operating system they make does ...

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]Same for you. Read the actual comments. These are mostly Apple iPhone users complaining about the performance hit on their older phones. If they own one of these phones, they can't be haters, even if they may become one after their recent experiences.[/citation]
Thanks for pointing that out because I just now realized I didnt even post my actually comment on the article. And I read all the comments and for every iphone user saying this did slow down their phone, there is a hater just spewing BS. I was referring to those people, not the people actually commenting on the article. Personally, I upgraded my 3G before I received my iphone4 and it slowed down like crazy too.. Good thing I only had it like that for a few weeks.. But I noticed something about it. My memory program usually told me I had 5megs free and i could free up 30 or so if I was lucky with OS3. After upgrading to iOS4 I always had only a few or 2 free and I couldnt free it up anymore. But I gave it to a friend and jailbroke it with iOS4 and enabled multitasking and backgrounds and it wasnt any slower than normal with iOS4.

godwhomismike

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Someone is going to need to hack the OS and put out a build that has a ton of the fat trimmed off. Kinda like those folks from nLite did with Windows.

Franklin Hennersdorfer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
Sneak preview of Apple's findings on this issue:

Steve Jobs: "It has come to our attention that some of our customers believe the OS upgrade has slowed their older iPhone. Based on our in house research, we have found this is merely an illusion." *Jedi mind trick hand wave* "The actual issue is that iPhone fans are just staring too dedicatedly at their beautiful, perfect, iPhone, thus they experience a general localized distortion of time and space which makes it APPEAR the phone is slower." *More hand waving* "There is nothing wrong with your iPhone. Just....look at it gleaming in your palm. Let the peace fill you. Feel the power flow around you. Luminous beans are we! Not this crude matter! Let the forc....err...iPhone fill you." *Final firm hand wave* "It is NOT the DROID you are looking for. You can go about your business. Move along!"

frosty7

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
[citation][nom]My Iphone is hot[/nom]Yes, I have noticed all of these things.The extra heat really sucks..[/citation]

Plus infinity for actually commenting on the article and not bashing something for the sole reason of it being the cool new thing to do. (only owned 1 apple product in my life, not even close to fanboi but sick of seeing useless comments)

G

App switching is slow on the 3G. Sometimes I have to wait 10 seconds just to type a note in Apples default Notes app. Often, the touchscreen doesn't register an input. Usually, if I open safari, I have to wait about 20 seconds while it's inexplicably loading a page, even though I selected to open an new page. Logic would follow that if I want to open a new page, the phone could quit trying to load the old one! But that would assume too much in intelligence for the O/S 4 designers.

In short O/S for sucks for 3G from a performance standpoint. And the other benefits are marginal at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.