Apple Investigates iOS 4 Bogging Down iPhone 3G

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Same same with my 3GS. Noticeably slower, hotter, and less battery. Typing is a pain, crashes a lot.

greenprince

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Sounds like do it in purpose. Right timing to release IOS 4 to make the old iphone not working. then fans boy think to buy a new one. good job.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]caladbolg[/nom]There's no problem. Apple is gonna come back and tell 3GS users that they're holding it wrong.[/citation]
We are talking about the 3G version and not the 3GS version. Two very different things.

dingmatt

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
[citation][nom]justinxtreme[/nom]My 3GS isn't slow at all unlike you people are saying. But my iPhone 3G is slow as f!!!! Seriously the 3GS has 200MHz more speed than the 3G and just double the RAM it's kind of wierd how that much makes so much difference.... My 3GS performs as snappy as my iPhone 4. Meanwhile the 3G it's not even close.[/citation]
You have way to many iPhones...

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]jfpannone[/nom]I have a 3GS and it is noticeably slower. Battery life has decreased as well. I wiped my device thinking i needed to free up space, but this had no positive effect. Issue remains. I don't doubt Jobs' shifty tactics. Does anyone remember what Jobs said in regards to signal strength bars after the death grip bar drop stuff?..."we messed up and were a little to liberal with our algorithm"... WHAT!!??! how can you be "a little to liberal" with an algorithm?? you intentionally falsified signal strength information to make more money! and then he goes on to say we only want to make our customers happy...total BS. I love apple, but lately they act like Manny Ramirez; clueless in left field.[/citation]
As a die hard Red Sox fan I really like the bit about Manny. Manny is clueless.

firebee1991

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
I have a second generation iPod Touch (same hardware as the 3G), and it's having the same problem. I'm about to ditch it completely and be rid of Apple products.

Simple11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
Yeah I upgraded to ios4 and it was a horrid experience on my 3G. I downgraded to 3.1.2 and regained my tethering ability and now im putting Pokemon on my phone :p

G

Turning off Spotlight in the settings should speed the 3G up somewhat.

geeess

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
Everyone wanted multitasking - they got it - now all Apps can crash at the same time.

To make the 3G lag less go to: settings->General->Spotlight Search and deselect as many as you can affort (or all). Wait for at least an hour, then turn the Phone completely off and back on. The phone will be as slow as ever, but those anoying lags will be better.
To downgrade: Make a backup and move it away. Downgrade the Phone to 3.1.3 and set it up as new Phone, not restoring the backup.

G.S.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]PCsux[/nom]You would think that PC users would understand that increased software calculations/complexity requires more processing power...[/citation]
You would think Apple would know that, but guess they don't :p

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]Mother Dragon[/nom]I remember when i upgraded to ios 4, i commented that it seemed faster. However that didn't last long! Its slow! Its slow at loading web pages, i've given up on the online games because they don't work and the keyboard can't keep up with me!I decided to upgrade to the iphone 4 when Apple started advertising it. However I think the performance of my 3G has definitely given me incentive to do it now, and i placed an order online at 12am this morning!I still have faith that Apple will fix things. Just look how good the iMac is! We all have to remember that they are making leaps and bounds in mobile technology! Maybe they should wait a little longer to test thing better, but it must be hard for a company at the top with the cutting edge tech, that everyone other company looks up to and wishes they had, to make a society of Tech hungry people with an attitude of i want it and i want it now!, to wait.[/citation]

................LMAO!!!

G

where do I sign up if there is a class action law suit ??
my 3G has taken a TREMENDOUS speed hit in everything....
I agree with the comments about their shoddy real world testing and lack of a warning to G and even GS owners....

rsg22

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
[citation][nom]PCsux[/nom]You would think that PC users would understand that increased software calculations/complexity requires more processing power...[/citation]

I have a 3G with iOS4, do you want to explain to me what the increase software complexity is?

The OS looks exactly the same and functions the same way too - it's a fuckup on their part AGAIN because if a phone can't handle the upgrade, they shouldn't offer it.

You'd think a MAC engineer would realise this.

rsg22

Distinguished
May 3, 2010
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Wouldn't be surprised if this was an intentional ploy to force upgrades. After all Apple's been known to do these things.[/citation]

Yeah, but it backfired in my case because I'm going to buy a competitors phone next. First and last Apple product for me.

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]ern88[/nom]Apple is the Toyota of the tech industry thats for sure.[/citation]
Except Toyota actually did a recall for the defective products
They didn't say they were "driving it wrong"
Or refuse to fix the problem and offer a free bumper, y'know, in case they crashed...

Status
Not open for further replies.