Apple's Unveils Safari 4 Beta; Threatens Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I wouldn't use it just because Apple makes it. Apple also makes the ultimate conformist PC/OS(parading as counter-culture). Mac is for the top 5% of conformists, those who conform more than normal conformists, and don't mind paying far more money just to ensure that they conform. If this isn't open source like Firefox, then I wouldn't trust it.

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
when i deal with an idiot who cant keep his mouth shut and is very opinionated and also loves to be the center of attention, and is ready to bash most of your comments.....must be a mac user....

how is Firefox threatened???? aren't these browsers FREE!!!!

my Firefox is not threatened simply because i will NOT be installing safari on MY PC....

if it was so great everyone would be using it.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
i dont know if safari will fly, they push it with each upgrade of itunes, and i remove it as fast as it installs. i'm burned out can't deal with another browser, now there is ie, mozilla, opera, safari, chrome. anyone care to name some more. too many players, can we just have one player that renders web pages correctly and runs javascript half decently.

what happened to capitalism? how could all these browsers exist for free. someone has to drop out. free software makes no sense imagine free cars. people have to get paid for their labor and people who pay for it have to make some money out of it.

damn you richard stallman look at the evil you have unleashed on the helpless world!

G

But is the entire browser open source? No, they just steal the hard-to-program parts from the open-source community(like their OSX kernel), whereas as the parts that spy on you and limit your digital freedom are closed source.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]jsloan[/nom]i dont know if safari will fly, they push it with each upgrade of itunes, and i remove it as fast as it installs. i'm burned out can't deal with another browser, now there is ie, mozilla, opera, safari, chrome. anyone care to name some more. too many players, can we just have one player that renders web pages correctly and runs javascript half decently[/citation]
It would be nice to have a mainstream browser that can pass the Acid 3 tests. (Opera 10 Alpha can do it)

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
"Safari 4.0 also uses HTML 5 and CSS 3"

I wonder why they chose to target standards that have yet to be finalized. Hopefully it renders HTML 4 and CSS 2 correctly, as few web site developers would target draft standards.

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
This is good news for mac users who haven't switched to Firefox. I don't know how many times my wife has complained about problems with a website. I tell her to switch over to Firefox, and moments later she's telling me that everything is working.

G

I have both browsers and so as much as i'm excited about Safari, i still won't dump firefox. Granted I'm a Safari user 95% of the time with using firefox on some sites that won't accept safari's method of encryption and security. Course reason why i use safri over Firefox is because i like its RSS reader better, and the tabs and buttons are smaller and there's a smaller overall profile to the browser layout which to me means more window space for my web browsing and less button clutter. But I do like Firefox skins and how it can save your tabs when quitting the app so I can just continue my work right where i left off. Either or, just chuck it onto the pile of other web browsers out there.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
The new code supposedly makes Safari 4 up to 420 percent faster than its older brother. Apple also claims that Safari 4.0 can execute JavaScript "up to 30 times faster than IE 7 and more than three times faster than Firefox 3."

Pics or it didn't happen.

Hitokage

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
Yeah, good luck trying to prove that 420% faster. What were they testing it on, a Mac Mini? That box of crap can't even render Shockwave Flash files without freezing up.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
The new code supposedly makes Safari 4 up to 420 percent faster than its older brother. Apple also claims that Safari 4.0 can execute JavaScript "up to 30 times faster than IE 7 and more than three times faster than Firefox 3."

How about against 3.1? I've read that Firefox 3.1 performance in JS is much better than 3.0's.

safcmanfr

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Tekkamanraiden[/nom]Just Apple trying to take over the desktop. I remember when you couldn't download Quicktime without having to install iTunes.[/citation]

Yep, and then the EU takes MS to court for being a monopoly, when Apple has much more abusive practices when it comes to forcing users to use particular applications.
Apple, IMO, is a much bigger culprit than MS for restricting consumer choice and forcing application installs.

I will be one of the 1st to party when Apple finally gets busted for pulling the crap it does.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]safcmanfr[/nom]I will be one of the 1st to party when Apple finally gets busted for pulling the crap it does.[/citation]

it won't it is the darling of the elite and mentally challenged ;-)

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]Hitokage[/nom]Yeah, good luck trying to prove that 420% faster. What were they testing it on, a Mac Mini? That box of crap can't even render Shockwave Flash files without freezing up.[/citation]

is it because of mac mini hardware or due to issue with osx?

timaahhh

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
So Safari executes JavaScript a bagillion times faster? First of all who the heck uses JavaScript for anything except validating forms. Second of all valiidating forms is almost instant, ie takes about 0 seconds, even if its done server side using php. 0 times a bagillion is still 0!

Status
Not open for further replies.