frank78.nyc

Prominent
Jan 24, 2018
Hi there,

I have a Sony x900e, and my receiver is an STR DH550. I don't want to run HDMI video through my receiver.

I'm using ARC currently, but my TV only has enhanced 4k in ports 2 and 3, and ARC is port 3...So, for my xbox, i'm unable to get the 'best' picture as I have to use HDMI port 1 or 4 (as my cable is HDMI port 2). I think i want to switch to optical or the 3.5mm jack instead of ARC, so I can just use the HDMI port 3 (which has the enhanced 4k) for my xbox.

What would you use in this scenario (optical or 3.5mm via RCA to M). Also, would there be certain issues with using one vs the other? I've read that HDMI ARC is the best option, but I want my games to have the best picture quality, so I need the HDMI port 3.

Thank you!

Solution
There is no advantage using HDMI-ARC rather than the optical audio output in current TVs..
Using the 3.5mm analog audio out would result in analog surround sound (not nearly as good as digital) and inferior sound.
The next generation of TVs that have HDMI 2.1 will support audio codecs that will not pass over optical cables.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
im not sure what the problem is. if you use HDMI you are not forced to use the sound output from HDMI but it would depend on the hardware. i know with playstation 4 you can choose in the menu to use optical for sound when connected via HDMI. i don't have xbox any longer so i'm not sure if they have a similar option

frank78.nyc

Prominent
Jan 24, 2018
Hi Captain,

I want to use my HDMI port 3 (which is the ARC port) for my xbox HDMI video connection. However, I need to use the HDMI port 3 (the ARC port) to connect to my receiver for the sound. So, to fix this I have to use either optical or 3.5mm option instead of ARC.

Best

There is no advantage using HDMI-ARC rather than the optical audio output in current TVs..
Using the 3.5mm analog audio out would result in analog surround sound (not nearly as good as digital) and inferior sound.
The next generation of TVs that have HDMI 2.1 will support audio codecs that will not pass over optical cables.

Solution