ARC works intermittently

pshrop

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018
I have a Samsung ks8000 tv hooked up via ARC to a Denon x2300. They are connected to each other using two HDMI 2.0 (with Ethernet) cables and an an HDMI extender that all support ARC. ARC was working (when watching on the tv's Netflix app) for 8+ months until a few weeks ago when it started working interminably (video is fine, but the sound isn't making it out of the speakers hooked up to the Denon receiver). I tried swapping out the HDMI extender, but nothing changed, which makes me think it's either the tv, the Denon or the Cables. I've made sure the tv and receiver are both fully updated and the ARC settings are appropriately turned on. Any suggestions? I'm struggling with how to troubleshoot because sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. If it consistently didn't work, it would be an easier thing to troubleshoot.

Why are the TV and Denon connected with two HDMI cables?
The point of ARC is to only need one cable to get picture from the receiver to the TV and sound from the TV to the receiver.
Did you check that the audio problem only happens with the receiver? It may occur even when using the internal TV speakers so the problem would not be the ARC.
Can you try an optical cable rather than ARC?

pshrop

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018

It's 2 cables, but only one connection. This is because the receiver is in a closet far from the tv. To connect the 2 devices, I use a short HDMI cable from the receiver to an HDMI extender (https://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-over-cat5-with-arc.html), then run CAT6 between the 2 extenders, then run a short HDMI from the extender by the TV to the arc HDMI port on the TV. The extenders/CAT6 are used because you can't run HDMI that far. Similarly, I can't run optical because of the distance it would have to travel and the fact that the wires travel through the walls/floors. I understand this adds additional places for things to break down, but the facts that (i) it worked for 8+ months and (ii) I swapped out the extenders with no benefit makes me think it's either in a software update or a cable.