Are ASUS Laptops any good?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wchase

Estimable
Mar 26, 2015
The laptops are shiny, although components may be inferior, and service is horrible.

I purchased a new G751JT ROG in 02/15, and the hard drive crapped in 03/15. Service said to ship it, but they don't provide a shipping box, if you use your original box, you won't get it back, and while they provide shipping it's uninsured and it's three business days there and three back. I shipped on a Thursday, meaning I'll be without my $2000 laptop for 7 business days and at least one weekend. It cost me $24.00 to box it and insure it.

I've had Sony's, Samsungs and Dells, the industry standard is overnight there and back, with max turn time three days, sometimes two.

Needless to say, I've just purchased my first and last ASUS. Looks shiny, but service is horrible, banana republic, essence of cheap.

Truthfully, Will Chase

Morgo24

Estimable
Apr 7, 2015
I AGREE, I HATE MY ASUS!!! Like another user stated, I don't know how I haven't thrown this through my window or broken it to pieces out of sheer frustration! Hate the Keyboard! It has a mind of it's own, does it's own thing ... on/off/wacky!!!!!

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

What did you get in your Asus G751?

fonlik

Estimable
Apr 18, 2015

I also bought a Asus laptop, the vivobook with a touchscreen with corei7. Since the buying, the laptop is very lag and I at first thought that Win8.1 might require more RAM and CPU. After 3 months, I decided to factory format my laptop, then many problems occured; ramdomly shutdown, poor performance, etc. I took it to the Asus center and they replaced the harddisk. Anyway, after a few weeks, I realized that the headphone wasn't working. I took the laptop back again to the repair center. This time, they replaced the mainboard, wow, 2 replacement within just 6 months after buying. I just wonder how many think they gonna be fatal after the warranty expires. So bad experience with Asus, won't buy it anymore.
PS. Asus service center in Thailand isn't impressed me at all.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

I doubt an Alienware with the same specs as your Asus would be twice the Asus. I actually matched component by component for the Asus to the Alienware and the price normal was the same 1899.99 but the Asus was on sale for 1750.00.

cjboise

Estimable
May 22, 2015

My advice based on personal experience with ASUS is do NOT buy it. In Dec 2013, I Purchased a mid level model with the i5 processor based on the generally good reviews. I started having issues almost immediately. I called tech support and struggled to understand the person I spoke with (yes, I know it's an across the board issue). One thing I was clearly able to discern after a brief conversation was they were accepting no responsibility for the problems. It was all a Microsoft issue and Windows 8. I called Microsoft and was told the issues I was experiencing was strictly a hardware issue and not theirs. I will give Microsoft credit here. They at least were willing to work with me to try and mitigate the problems as well as they could. After quite a bit of back-and-forth, I was able to get it to function to a certain degree and accepted the fact that it was probably my fault for not buying a touch screen.
As I was working through the issues on my own machine, Both kids were starting college and my wife also needed a new machine. The current reviews on my other favorites were so bad, I decided ASUS was probably my best bet, only this time with the touch screens. I purchased three more, all with touch screens. All three of them started having similar problems, the worst of which was dropping the wi-fi connection. They were each taken to back to Best Buy and worked on by the Geek Squad with the assurance the problems were solved. This went back and forth until the free returns period was well over.

Fast Forward: 2 of the four are now officially dead. One will only come on and show a white blank screen. The other one will not come on at all. It starts to boot, then the screen just goes black and shuts itself off (no, it's not the charger). My wife's has been giving her error messages and keeps shutting down randomly. Mine is the only one still working and it disconnects itself from the wi'fi at least 2 to 3 times every session.

I hope this helps somewhat with your decision. I personally will NEVER buy ASUS again.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
It's hard when you critique a Brand when they make 20 or so models with different prices ranges and quality of components. Alot of people are happy with the 17.3" gaming machines that use top of the line components. I myself have never had one.

yunkimus

Estimable
May 29, 2015

Hi, I have ASUS Ultrabook UX31E still in ASUS tech support. I purchased this for my daughter in other state.She couldn't use this very often because of some problem. Some times it works, sometimes it is dead. I spoke with ASUS tech people in other country to solve this issue spending a few days. They were not professional, neither could solve the problem.They made RMA # and suggested me to send it for repair quoting around $140. I just received the repair invoice for $745.20. I couldn't believe this.My ASUS ultrabook has had serious problems which is not my side fault. Their support is very very bad. I just recommend not to buy it.

yunkimus

Estimable
May 29, 2015
I've just had exactly the same issue.It was not the charger,the screen turns to black and keep shutting down. I WILL NEVER BUY ASUS AGAIN.

FatherH

Honorable
Oct 20, 2012

I've been using Asus products for about 20 years. Twenty years ago their customer service was great. To-day, it's the pits... For example, I currently own one of the NVidia graphics cards. The NVidia tech support did a thorough job of assessing a problem and concluded that the card was defective and Asus needed to replace it. After a lot of time was spent trying to get the Asus customer support to act on my behalf I finally had to get the NVidia tech to call them and tell them what was wrong. Then they agreed to replace it. That was over 2 months ago. I'm still waiting for the replacement!!!

I hope this answers your question about Asus customer support. If not, I can give you more examples...

Samurai1

Estimable
Jul 9, 2015
I have an ASUS laptop and love it. However, after an issue this year with an ASUS MB I own, I found out that AUS technical support sucks big time!!! I have an M5A88V-EVO MB; In the beginning I could not get the RAID to work. Sent the mb in and it came back no problems. Still no go - so I started doing my own troubleshooting. Found out that if I had a PATA disc attached to the board (pulling data over from previous system) then RAID would not work. Informed ASUS, told thanks, but no fix! Now I have analyzed another RAID problem; it looses volume 2 after a few months, so I am forced to rebuild the volume every few months. Went to ASUS with this in Jan this year. Back and forth as they kept trying to tell me how to set up RAID. Finally got a tech who understood the issue and he forwarded it to the RMA team. This was in April. I was told that the RMA team would get with me within 48 hours; no such. After 1 week I emailed them, was told again, they would be in touch with me. Finally, the end of April, they give me an RMA number; but guess what? My warranty is now expired; it expired while I was waiting for an RMA. So ASUS won't fix it under warranty even though I started with this issue in Jan.

here is the ASUS response:

I completely understand that this issue was ongoing and at this point your warranty has expired. I understand this is unfortuante.

If I had an option I would have definitely helped you out in this regard. As per the RMA guidelines if the product warrty is expired, customer needs to bear the repair costs. Please accept my apologies.

Like this endears me to them. While I like their products, based on this I will no longer buy any products manufactured by ASUS.

Kiesel

Estimable
Aug 12, 2015
Keyboards are clearly the weakness on Asus Laptops! If you intend to use it for daily work you will be very annoyed.

1. The layout: Things are crunched together, important keys like "end" are missing, arrow keys are positioned together with the other keys so you will press 1 instead of "up" or 0 instead of "right" all the time. That's okay for an entertainment or casual laptop, but if you need to work with it it's just a deal breaker.

2. The Quality: The keys will break. Use it for 6 months and you will notice that a few keys aren't as smooth anymore. Use it for a year and you will have major annoyances with the keys or even faulty ones.

3. The missing letters: Somehow Asus Keyboards tends to miss out on letters. This never happened to me before, but with Asus it's really common. You press a button not hard enough and it will not print the letter.

4. Forget customer support in case of problems like this. They are super-unreliable.

Asus did clearly not read the "best practices" when it comes to Keyboard Design and Quality. As a programmer, I'll never use an Asus Laptop ever again.

mtarallo

Estimable
Aug 17, 2015
They are crap - (The DC-IN charging ports will eventually fail) I will never buy another ASUS product again - see post here: http://asus.pissedconsumer.com/asus-notebook-computer-bad-charging-port-design-20150804677035.html

Useless customer care:

Hello Michael,

I apologize for any inconvenience or frustration this may have caused. At this point though, your units are no longer within the one year manufactures warranty. The only option for getting them repaired, would be to send them in out of warranty and pay for the repairs. I deeply apologize for this and understand your frustration over this matter. You agreed to the warranty terms and services upon purchasing the unit. You can reveiw warranty terms here: http://www.asus.com/us/support/Article/681/

Cordell S.

ASUS Corporate Customer Care

yahya_Kadd

Estimable
Aug 23, 2015
Am a Designer, i owned G750J for three month then it stopped working and i only used it to check my emails, last laptop lasted 5 years with me it was a really normal laptop (not Asus) but i was using it heavily -rendering and 3d modeling!! wasted my time and my money!! $3800 !! shame !
i totaly dont recommend the laptop not either the company, dont do the same mistake...

RobRoy73

Estimable
Jul 10, 2015

I read your comments also on the keyboard. I just sent my X550LA back bc about 5 to 6 keys do not register at times. I found the initial call to start the return process surprisingly very good. I had the return label before we got off the phone. Being extremely tech savvy, I was embarrassed to discover that the 5 to 6 minute boot times were easily corrected with a chkdsk. He even helped me with a boot file missing where a bios reset corrected that issue. Laptop was flying off a reboot before I sent it back. It was the first time since I had it and for those hating 8.1, 10 is much better and seems more 7inish. I only sent it back bc of the kb.

I don't blame ASUS for the actual kb issue as I believe Sam's Wholesale (Walmart store basically that sells in bulk like Costco) sold me a refurb or return. But I'm covered either way with a 2 year extended warranty. I do hold reservation on what they actually do to fix the problem (ASUS). Fedex held on to the package for 2 days and me in the Southeast and Asus in California, I sent it Monday at noon and they get it Friday evening. I feel anything going to 2 weeks is looney in this day and age. I'll report back on the outcome but I'd choose ASUS over Dell at this time bc initial calls to Dell were very trying with the broken English.

I have been using my asus laptop for 2 years and it works. The only things that is worn out are my fan and my battery. My model is the asus n56vz and it is good for light to medium workloads. Unfortunately I pushed it too far in the first year by playing games at settings that was too high and paid the price of one of my fans slowing down but no worries.

These are good laptops that should work if you use them in the way they are designed. The only thing I don't like about the laptop is how hard it is to service.

kouet

Estimable
Aug 30, 2015
Well. Asus laptops are no good. I bought one for myself and it caused me lots of troubles.
Customer service is terrible. Long wait, not nice, can't really help you. Screening turn on and off on you. That drove me insane!
Anyway someone I know went online and saw their good rating and bought one. Brand new one just like me, but same problem: screen turn on and off every minute and the volume is so low that you can barely hear it.
Terrible laptop! Don't waste your money and time

RobRoy73

Estimable
Jul 10, 2015

Just got the laptop back today. Other than the 2 week turnaround and lack of notification on ASUS and Fedex, I'm satisfied. They replaced the KB and it seems fine now. I'd recommend Asus over any of the other competitors, especially HP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS