Are ASUS Laptops any good?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

Well about the Sam's, Walmart and Costco statement. Now just because they order in bulk has nothing to do with who is to blame. If those retailers order refurb and don't advertise them as refurbs they are at fault. Typically those places don't sell refurbs like Newegg or Tiger direct. But if they do it should be marked for the customer (ASUS wouldn't like them doing that). Second if it's a refurb that means Asus replaced the part/part that made it a refurb anyways.

When I ship to Dell there is a half day turn around. The last time I sent to them I went to fedex at 7pm and Dell (Houston) had it by 10 am the next day. Then the return to me was just as fast.

RobRoy73

Estimable
Jul 10, 2015

I can see that if you work in desktop support, but for personal end users, I feel a turn around inside of week is acceptable. Asus has some work to do on their turnaround times. I've owned 2 Dells for personal and used a few in work. I would normally recommend Dell but their overseas language barrier is a bit much. Asus reps are understandable literally.

Also the laptop was not advertised as a refurb and I did get a discount when I advised them of the top of the laptop having some minor scratches when I bought it at the time.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
My Dell product is an Alienware and when I talked to the support over the phone they were in Costa Rica but when I shipped my laptop back I shipped it to Houston. I've never had an Asus.

RobRoy73

Estimable
Jul 10, 2015

My rep was in Bahamas and I called late in the afternoon on a Saturday. I was impressed that I hit 1 key and was connected to him. I've been pretty happy with this X550LA...I'm not into hardcore gaming so it does what I need.

galaxyuser99

Estimable
Sep 8, 2015
Well, seems I am new to the Asus community. Just got myself an Asus K501LB-DM048H a day ago. Everything seems to work alright.

Specs:

Hardware: Intel Core i7 (i7-5500u) max 3.0GHz, 1TB HDD 5400rpm + 16GB SSD (for turbo boost)
Aluminium body, great Mac-like trackpad, comfortable chiclet keyboard

So far I haven't met any issues, other than the long Windows Update installation -_-

And, having tried Counter Strike: Global Offensive, I can say I can now get more kills compared to my aging MacBook AIr 13" (Mid-2011).

Great gaming and productivity laptop I have ever used.

Will continue to monitor, and see if I have any issues.

Raiderstern

Estimable
Sep 21, 2015
I bought a cheap ASUS laptop from Walmart, I also have a very nice Toshiba that was 1k, I also have a Lenovo I spent around 750$ for.. I paid 350$ on this ASUS AND I swear to you it's the best running laptop I have. I don't know what it is but I can play games on this thing, stream perfectly. It only has a 500 hard drive and Intel pentium yet for some reason it's amazing. I had it over a year now and HONESTLY it's the best laptop I ever owned. It's really super light too. The Batter last FOREVER.. I don't know if this is some kind of hidden gem or something. I feel like ASUS company slippd this laptop out there for 1 lucky costumer and it's fully loaded and I don;t even know.. All I know is I download movies constantly, I stream Constantly... The thing works PERFECT!!!! Its X15MAV

Jason_22

Estimable
Sep 21, 2015

I've got the X550LA and upgraded the memory to 12GB. Overall I've been happy with it. I did have to send it back for a defective KB that was a 2 week turnaround. While they're RMA status page leaves little to be desired, the initial call was very good. I had the shipping label before we got off the phone on a late Saturday afternoon. But be aware they will reset the OS to original if they get it. I recommend backup solutions like Acronis. I also recommend an extended warranty. I got a good deal with mine. While normally I would repair a PC issue myself, these laptops are getting too thin to crack into and the additional protection still put me under $700 for the purchase.

Jason_22

Estimable
Sep 21, 2015

While I agree that most people that get these laptops are not doing themselves any favors by not learning how to either use it or finding the proper teaching aids to help them solve these more-than-likely simple solutions, I do not agree that a company like ASUS would purposely sell "budget" laptops with below standard quality. I mean think about it.. they sell a brand and if one side of the brand is made to break... then they fail as a whole. So I don't think that would be their intention on any level.

I have used the support and warranty... the initial call was impressive and they do speak very clear-to-understand English. However, they could improve turnaround times and status updates of the repairs. But to lambaste on a "get what you pay for", if companies like ASUS did this on purpose, their brand would go under.

The main thing I am seeing is that the hardware is not really the problem. I have had 2 laptops before owing the asus and I had no problem. The were running win xp and 7. The moment win 8 came around I started to have problems. I really how that get win 10 as reliable as win 7.

Jason_22

Estimable
Sep 21, 2015

Sorry, I'm finding it hard to follow the grammar on your comment. You had 2 laptops before owning an Asus with no issues yet you say you've had no issues with Asus? That doesn't make much sense.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
Did Asus provide specific drivers fro Windows 8. Alot not just Asus of vendors don't do drivers for a PC that was released under an older OS. In that case you have to use Windows 7 drivers which sometimes don't work properly. Which in case you the actual vendor may or may not support that OS.

technician-ie

Estimable
Sep 26, 2015
Just happen to notice this and I have no idea what people are on about, ASUS are probably one of the best brands out there, any problems you're having is most likely down to a faulty dealership or human error, not products. It would be unwise for a company to release products that don't work, where is the sense in that? I'm guessing some people haven't got much experience in maintenance, this would be why you have many problems. So bottom line is.... it's ok to buy ASUS products.

Jijina

Estimable
Oct 25, 2015
mine is asus notebook x550l model laptop i am using it for past 2 year i only had probs with its externals(led screen had a crack within 2 months after i bgt it, my keyboard case started to peel off, charger which had the worst design eva got broken,cd drives jumbs out automatically ) and the tech support team had never helped me in it.. asus really has a poor warranty and tech support otherwise its the best laptop eva

spasquier

Estimable
Oct 29, 2015
ASUS are LIARS, il's impossible to make a Laptop UX501JW with graphic card NVIDIA GTX960M work in 4K definifion !!!! (4096 x 2160 pixels)
I waisted my money for nothing buying this sh....t ASUS

spasquier

Estimable
Oct 29, 2015

[Product Information]
Product Type : Notebook
Product Model : UX501JW
Product S/N : F3N0BC04881712D
Place of Purchase : singapore
Date of Purchase : 2015/07/06
Operating System : Windows 8.1 64bit

[Problem Description]
I cannot change the screen definition to 4k (3840x2160), the maximum definition available in my Windows 8.1 64 bits is HD (1920x1080) How can I resolve this ? all drivers are up to date as long as microsoft windows all updates installed.

Jose_17Rijal

Estimable
Nov 22, 2015
I don't really know,, perhaps its depend on the management in each region. my friend in taiwan has problem with his laptop monitor, and he get new lcd without any charge.

frob28

Estimable
Dec 30, 2015

I just want to respond to your theory that people where purchasing cheap laptop and that is the reason. My company purchased two Asus Business laptops model B43S i7 processor w/three warranty and all the bell and whistles you can get. One of them I have had nothing but issues. The hard drive, wireless card, over heating and also intermittent memory issues. To prove a point there was a Dell laptop purchased around the same period which was also for business and never had a issue. So we bought 3 of the same Dells and never had any problems. But if I did I know that the support is there for Dell. Every time I call they hang up or recently the support line rings busy. But If I do get a person I explain what I did to try and resolve the issue and they say try something else or say they are going to send something to resolve the issue and nothing comes. DO NOT USE ANY OF ASUS PRODUCTS. I had similar issues with the only two Asus MB that we purchased from them. With that they wanted me to purchase memory because they said it was not compliance. It was only then that afterwards they finally agreed to replace the memory. even after they memory was not the issue. Again, DO NOT EVER BY ASUS PRODUCTS!! They are going to crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS