Solved! are soundbars upgradable?

Jun 7, 2019
Hi, I'm new to the technologies in audio and so this may be a basic question. I'm a music/audio lover and i'm looking to upgrade my 7 year old Sony 5.1 surround system(doesnt really have surround effect). Also, I currently cannot buy something for 400-500$. So, is it possible to get the sound system setup one at a time? like get a good stereo speaker or 2.1 soundbar system now and then attach the center and rear speakers after 6 month or 1 year to have the full setup later. Any thoughts?
Please forgive me if this is a totally nonsensical question

Solution
Some soundbars do offer add on subwoofers and surround speakers. These are not the lower prices ones. I don't know of any that allow you to add a center channel given that there would be no place to put it. Some soundbars do have 3 channels built in. The sound quality of soundbars almost always leaves something to be desired compared to a real surround sound system.
If you are satisfied with the sound of your present speakers and are missing something in your present receiver then update that first. A 1-2 year old used one might work for you and be affordable.
If the speakers aren't good enough then replace the front three speakers for more clarity and the sub for better bass. The rears are the least important so you can replace them last.
Some soundbars do offer add on subwoofers and surround speakers. These are not the lower prices ones. I don't know of any that allow you to add a center channel given that there would be no place to put it. Some soundbars do have 3 channels built in. The sound quality of soundbars almost always leaves something to be desired compared to a real surround sound system.
If you are satisfied with the sound of your present speakers and are missing something in your present receiver then update that first. A 1-2 year old used one might work for you and be affordable.
If the speakers aren't good enough then replace the front three speakers for more clarity and the sub for better bass. The rears are the least important so you can replace them last.

Solution
Jun 7, 2019

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that one other reason i wanted to switch was bcoz of all the wires. the rear speakers dont really get to the back of the room as the wires arent long enough for my new apartment. So I was thinking of going for wireless rear speakers(when i get them) as i can have them behind my couch. Based on your point above if soundbars do lack something compared to real surround sound system I would be happy to get a 5.1 just wanted to know if i can get them separately ([2.1 + 1 +2] or [3.1 + 2] or [2 + 2(center+subwoofer) + 2(rear)]) kind of like an assembled PC and if i could what would you suggest ?

Without knowing how your setup sounds now, I have listened to several soundbars from about 100 to 300, for the money and sound quality, I liked the Vizio ones, and they have a bunch of different price ranges https://www.vizio.com/audio/home-theater.html

The one I have is a 36" SmartCast model with wireless rear sub and rear speakers. The only catch is that the rear speakers are not wireless but they connect to the sub, which can be placed in the rear and is wireless. I have the sub and speakers on the floor behind my couch, sounds pretty good. It's a $220-250 set but I got it used on craigslist for $80. Tested it out at a store against some higher end sound bars first and it sounded clearer and punchier with good high end, clear audio, and bass was good enough even though the sub is not larger.