Are they any no BS MP3, video players?

foxyg

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I am looking for a portable device, that can play many different format of audio and video files. Specially APE audio and xvid video etc. And I don't have to do sync with itune or windows media players. All I need is to connect it to PC and drag files in like a portable hard drive.

Not sure if such thing exist, maybe have to install a custom firmware on certain player to achieve this?

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
Archos 5 has a hard drive mode. As long as the file is compatible with the Archos you can drag and drop it. You can also create your own directories on the player from your desktop.

The downside.... cost. They start at about $350. I have a 120 gig version and like it.

How about the Cowon S9? It flash based though so that may or may not be a plus for you. I don't have it, I'm waiting for the 32GB version (~ $280 supposedly). It does support drag & drop. I'm interested in it because is not a hard drive and it supports FLAC. Rumor has it that the 32GB version may include a SDHC slot.

Here's a review you can Google for more:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/2008/12/cowon-iaudio-s9-review.php

JessieJ

Distinguished
May 20, 2009

Sansa fuze works like that. It supports supports MP3, WMA, PCM WAV . Click and drag music works fine on my player. I chose teh fuze over others - b/c 3 things

1) Price

2) Expandable MicroSD card slot keeps em from going obsolete ( battery is internal so would have to disassemble to replace ).

3) Sound quality is good.

The FM tuner on mine isn't worth much - but I live in Chicago area - pretty far from the city. Might be better in other areas of the country.