Asking advice on an older phone that can play mp3 books; create a wifi hotspot, more

Flatcat47

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
Hiya
I have a tracfone. Mostly it is okay--as a phone. Incredibly complicated to get photos out of it.
I would like to listen to music and books while I work and work out.
I would like to be able to have a phone that can work about anywhere. (I understand that is achieved by certain AT&T and other plans.)
Not necessarily looking to use a phone for internet stuff; occasional searches for some info or places....when I travel I like to have my laptop. But creation of a wifi hotspot in the middle of the BVI is pretty neat for connecting to the 'net.

MP3 books, I'd like to be able to bookmark.
Perhaps that is an app, perhaps an ability of phone?
Need enough storage for a book or two and some music, maybe lots of that.

I am a poor simple Boomer who is struggling to catch up with the XXth Century. My first computer was a Commodore 64 but I cannot figure out MP3 players.

Can you recommend the minimum older model phone that can do this stuff? REALLY daunted by the prospect of paying HUNDREDS of dollars.

Is a phone in an arm holster the best solution for MP3 entertainment?

What's this---eight questions? I barely know where to begin.

TIA

Dennis

Phone working in areas depends on the cell service more than the phone. Verizon has the best coverage.

Hotspot depends on the service you pick, many of the budget services limit or disable hotspot use.

I like the Samsung S models, my son has an S5 I got used for about $100, still works fine. S6 is pretty affordable also. iPhone 6s is also good specs and can run anything new, those are in the high 100 range, $180, $200 depending on the shape, specs and seller.

If you want to use a phone as mostly an MP3 player, I would just get an MP3 player, they are way lighter to carry around if you are planning to use it in an arm holder.